PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling the flop/folding to a turn bet

Vehn
03-19-2003, 01:45 AM
I see this from time to time in whatever game I happen to be playing and am continually boggled by it, i.e. player A checks on the flop, player B bets, player C raises, A coldcalls and B calls. The turn is whatever and its checked to C who bets and A folds. Is there a situation (I know I'm talking very generally here) where this is correct play? I can't imagine there is.

Dynasty
03-19-2003, 02:58 AM
I think players regularly do it with runner-runner flush draws that don't improve on the turn.

davidross
03-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Flop is Tc 3c 3d

Player A has Jc 9c and Player C has raised pre-flop. He checks and calls the 2 when it comes back to him. Turn is another T. He folds.

tewall
03-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Player A holds 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
Flop comes A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
Turn A : /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Vehn
03-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Why would it be correct for A to coldcall 2 bets on the flop there?

rharless
03-20-2003, 12:48 AM
I don't think it IS correct... but that doesn't stop some people... (thankfully)

The only situation I can remember where I have called two cold on the flop and then mucked on the turn went something like this:

I have 98. Flop is K98. Bet, raise, I call cold (usually I raise but it depends on texture of game/ play of hand). Turn is a K. Bye bye for me.

Punker
03-20-2003, 06:59 PM
I have T9 in the BB. The flop is A78 with two of some suit. The turn is an ace of that suit. I might play the hand in the manner you describe (though I would probably bet the flop right out).

But I strongly suspect this isn't exactly the calibre of play being demonstrated on most occasions when you see this.

J.A.Sucker
03-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Maybe if you had 2 overcards and a gut shot draw, though checking and calling isn't ideal. Then, a card comes that's over your overcards, and you think they aren't any good if they hit anymore.