PDA

View Full Version : I bought all of Zeppelin's studio work for $200 on vinyls... ethical?

Maulik
08-08-2005, 12:14 PM
i want to have all this stuff on my computer but can't think of a way?

a) is this ethical to download it on the internet if I own it?
b) where is a great place to go about diong so

captZEEbo1
08-08-2005, 12:22 PM
a) yes

dibbs
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Very nice. I'm still rummaging through record shops up the coastline to complete a good condition collection, most of mine is beat to hell.

Although this is probably just as unethical, you could download Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge 5 (or newer) and record of all of them to your computer. You can get some really great vintage type sound quality this way (if you have good equipment). It is time consuming though.

My personal opinion is that it is ethical to download the tracks, you have paid the artist for their works. You probably know all of the programs to get stuff with, just make sure you go for a high kbps at "CD" quality because listening to zep on anything lower just aint right.

Nottom
08-08-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Although this is probably just as unethical, you could download Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge 5 (or newer) and record of all of them to your computer. You can get some really great vintage type sound quality this way (if you have good equipment). It is time consuming though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recording from your own copies is about as ethical as you can get.

nothumb
08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, if you bought it on vinyl, you probably didn't give LZ anything because it was used. So, in a strict ethical sense, you probably shouldn't d/l the albums.

However, in a realistic world, I think it's fine. Paying for an album twice is silly.

NT

ptmusic
08-08-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Recording from your own copies is about as ethical as you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually completely legal - you can make your own legally purchased copies, you just can't distribute them. Of course, if the poster was suggesting stealing Sound Forge, well that's unethical. But I'm almost certain Sound Forge comes in a stripped down (but full sound quality) free version that should serve your purposes (the full version is very good, btw).

As for downloading an illegal copy of a song you've already purchased legally - technically this is illegal and therefore wrong. But it's certainly better than never buying the product.

The problem is that someone else (besides the writers, performers, and their supporting network of label, publisher, management, producers, etc.) is profiting illegally, and that keeps the illegal machine strong.

-ptmusic