PDA

View Full Version : Weak lead into my draw.

ahnuld
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Playing 2-4 nl on Prima. Some weak tight opens for 12. @ callers to me so I call from button with T /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Villan calls from BB. He is a good winning player, who isnt just a set miner.

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. 56 in pot. Checked to me, so I fire out 40. BB is the only caller. This could be a set or a draw, with a set, he would let people come in and get themselves in trouble.

Turn is the 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif He weak leads 24 into me. Whats my line?

gomberg
08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
What are stack sizes? My default play would be to call as we're getting odds to hit a flush / straight (2-1 against roughly). One problem is that he could already have a straight so ours wouldn't be good if hit. Another is that he could have a set already (although that's a pretty terrible bet with a set or even a straight... if he's a good player, there's no way he has a set / straight there unless he knows you will raise from observing your play).

If he's most likely drawing, you could push here to semi-bluff. If not, take the odds and try to hit on the river then get money in as a probably favorite. If the backdoor club comes, make sure and overbet raise / bet the river to represent it (or a bluff). If a heart comes, you can try and represent that although he may have the draw.

ahnuld
08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
As of the turn, we each have about 500 in chips. The reason the weak lead feels like a trap to me is becuase twice I have raised his weaking turn or river bets and got him to fold. He def. a good enough player to remeber this and may be trying to trap me, or get a cheap showdown, thus the dilemma.

nsj
08-08-2005, 12:42 PM
If he already has the straight, we're chopping (assuming a J hits and not the 6).

I'm calling this turn, and reevaluating on the river according to his action.

gomberg
08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason the weak lead feels like a trap to me is becuase twice I have raised his weaking turn or river bets and got him to fold. He def. a good enough player to remeber this and may be trying to trap me, or get a cheap showdown, thus the dilemma.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, it's just like the classic "check behind" w/ a good draw. Very simple call IMO. This puts him to be in a position to make a much bigger mistake than yourself. If he has a straight or a set, then you calling there just made him make a pretty large mistake - especially if he's prone to lose some money on the river...

ahnuld
08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok, so I did elect to flat call, since I felt I might be reraised. The turn bricked me with the 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Im ready to fold to any bet, but then he bets 24 again! The pot is about 200 and its killing me to let that weak bet take this down, but I folded. Should I have raised this to 100 even?

gomberg
08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
If a bluff were to be made here, $150-$225 sounds like the right range. It sounds like he won't fold anything but air here though (maybe a naked QJ). Seems too risky, I probably fold but would make that bluff once in a while.

Allinlife
08-08-2005, 02:22 PM
I'd raise the river 150ish..your play corresponds with flush, and even a 9x. looks like a weak queen trying for cheap showdown.

ahnuld
08-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Sorry, I posted the wrong suit. River completly bricked, wit an offsuit 9 of /images/graemlins/diamond.gif so neither flush draw got there.

gomberg
08-08-2005, 02:47 PM
well, he should put you on a draw w/ you calling the turn, so he may not even fold to a bluff-raise. I'd pick a better spot to make that bluff - the 9h was a more interesting river card /images/graemlins/smile.gif