PDA

View Full Version : Was Jefferson Davis Ever Convicted of Treason?

12-04-2001, 09:21 PM
I may be wrong about this but I don't believe that he was. I think that the North was afraid to try him for treason because they weren't sure if seceding from the Union was unconstitutional or would be found to be unconstitutional in the courts.

12-04-2001, 10:14 PM
No. He was imprisoned for a couple of years and treated quite badly, but then let go and lived a free man until he died in the 1890s (I believe).

12-05-2001, 12:15 AM
You have the Internet at your fingertips and yet you ask questions that can be answered witha Google search.

(I'm chastising you the same way M chastised me about looking up the etymology or "juggernaut".)

With the South in ruins and Grant's Army near he fled Richmond. After his capture in the vicinity of Irwinville, Ga. at the end of the war the former president spent two years in jail for treason but was released before trial. A private businessman and author after his release, Jefferson Davis died in 1889 at the age of 81.

From Jefferson Davis: A Portrait

12-05-2001, 12:47 AM
I was almost positive I was right, on my way out the door, and so I didn't bother but I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong. If the victorious Union wouldn't prosecute Davis for treason and they had there doubts about whether or not secession is illegal or unconstitutional, I think it is rather unfair and wrong to label Robert E. Lee a traitor.

12-05-2001, 01:36 AM
what do you expect nowadays? ill bet most people think the president has the power to declare war. (after all , he declared the current 'war' on terrorism)

brad

12-05-2001, 01:44 AM
I believe Bush is covered by the War Powers Act. This time I took the initiative to find a link for it:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/statecraft/warpow.html

12-05-2001, 02:03 AM
some official on cspan came right out and said that since we (the US) didnt officially (congress) declare war, we had more 'latitude' when it came to dealing with prisoners. (information extraction, ect.)

brad

12-05-2001, 03:02 AM
N/T

12-05-2001, 05:43 AM

12-05-2001, 06:51 AM
The irony with this situation is amazing.

12-05-2001, 08:30 AM
There was a book I read in college entitled "Constitutional Dictatorship" which covered the way 4 presidents Lincoln, FDR and two others set aside the Constitution in order to handle a national emergency.

The most relevant argument the author makes is that of a sailing ship coming into port in rough weather. Do you want the Captain, the most seasoned, experienced and knoeledgaeable person on board piloting the ship or would you rather take a vote?

12-05-2001, 09:05 AM
By the way, when any of you go to Biloxi, you can stop by Jefferson Davis' home -- it's between Biloxi and Gulfport. There's a nice museum there and all this information should be available.

12-05-2001, 11:49 AM
victory!

yes!

bradley (wilhelm) abc