PDA

View Full Version : Win Rate

nmt09
08-08-2005, 11:16 AM
What is an average win rate for someone playing NL Holdem Tournaments?

I know factors can vary but I'm wondering what kind of win rate would be considered good if I was to concentrate all my effort on tournaments....

jmillerdls
08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I can think of no way for anyone to answer this...more info please.

nmt09
08-08-2005, 12:59 PM
More information?

All I'm asking is what win rate is considered good when playing no limit tournaments. I'm not surfe there is any information I could give you...

For example if I finished in the money [deep] every 8 tournaments is that good or would I be looking to finish in the money more often for it to be considered good?

Is this even how a tournament player would rate their play or would they go on earning vs spending?

Thanks

Pat Southern
08-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I think its been said that in the tournaments with good structures a great player can expect up to a 500% ROI (so 6X his initial investment). I dont think that really can apply to online MTTs due to the quickly escalating blinds, but I'd guess a great play could expect an ROI between 200-300%.

nmt09
08-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I expect this is over the long term as opposed to each tournament?

Sorry to be so dumb but I'm new to poker and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the things not often discussed in poker books.

Maulik
08-08-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I expect this is over the long term as opposed to each tournament?

Sorry to be so dumb but I'm new to poker and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the things not often discussed in poker books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be caustic, but this is OBVIOUSLY the long run. You should do lots of reading before you dive into MTT play or any other form of poker.

Pat Southern
08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes, that 200% ROI is over the long term, which is much longer than you think. There's so much variance in MTTs that you can go 100 MTTs without showing a profit, then one win gets you up to 100% ROI.

nmt09
08-08-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be caustic, but this is OBVIOUSLY the long run. You should do lots of reading before you dive into MTT play or any other form of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far I've read Poker for Dummies and Harrington on Hold'em Vol I however none of these books [or many others from what I've seen] discuss things like ROI.

I was certain it was over the long term but felt it better to make sure I was on the same page.

Maulik
08-08-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its very hard to quantify an expect winrate for MTT as a result of many many many variables. Pick up Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky & Vol 2.

So far I've read Poker for Dummies and Harrington on Hold'em Vol I however none of these books [or many others from what I've seen] discuss things like ROI.

I was certain it was over the long term but felt it better to make sure I was on the same page.

[/ QUOTE ]

nmt09
08-08-2005, 02:11 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to know Pat. I know in the B&M world some professional players can go months even a year without cashing and I just wondered how things where online.

I remember Doyle winning the WPT Legends of Poker and commenting how this would have been a dry year only for this that win.

nmt09
08-08-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pick up Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky & Vol 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Vol II is on the way :-) and I'll take a look for Sklansky - thanks.