PDA

View Full Version : The 3-bet preflop

gomberg
08-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I've been noticing a lot of hands where someone has AA or KK and does not 3-bet preflop. I understand the "only suckers 3-bet w/ KK preflop" mentality, but I think that's a pretty awful rule to stand by and think there are many situations where I want to 3-bet preflop. Yet in this forum, I don't think I've seen a 3-bet w/ KK in a long time.

Here's a fun 3-bet hand that I played pretty horribly from when I first started dabbling (read taking shots) at 5-10 about a year ago. But I was experimenting w/ 3-betting at the time...

I ($1500) open on the button in an 8-handed game (5-10) w/ A7o to $35. This is probably the 3rd time I've opened on the button in the last 3 rounds. SB ($1500) reraises to $100, BB folds, I 3-bet to $300. SB calls (oops).

flop is 973r. He checks, I check. turn is 3. He checks, I check. River is a 6. He pushes, I think for a while and call (damn I'm a hero making heroic calls).

Anyway, the point of all this is that when you open late w/ a great hand (AA, KK) and someone resteals, why not 3-bet with at least these hands? Hell, I'm willing to do it with any 2, why aren't you? Is it just the stacks are not deep enough w/ 100BBs... maybe. Thoughts?

fimbulwinter
08-08-2005, 11:01 AM
very often the players telling you not to threebet are speaking about a facet of their game that only makes sense in the context of them playing very tight and passive overall. in this sense it is logical, however such a game obviously leaves money on the table long term in exchange for its mental simpicity and lower variance.

there are many players here who will 3bet with lots of hands given a deep stacked environment. i am one of them and i can tell you for sure that if im threebetting with AQs and 45s, then i'm surely threebetting with KK too.

fim