PDA

View Full Version : Last week of my internship or so I though? How to handle this?

Maulik
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Apparently, I thought I my last day of work was this Friday, August 12, but my supervisor has the following week.
Should I stick it out another week or ask if I may have the upcoming week off? I really don't enjoy my job, but I have been working on & off here during the school year and worked here this summer because I was too lazy to find a better internship.

I should be on good terms, leaving on good terms is important as I apply for jobs (this is my senior year).

Ty

durron597
08-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Good recommendation letters are worth more than 40 hours of your life unless you are really uber at poker.

Maulik
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good recommendation letters are worth more than 40 hours of your life unless you are really uber at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've read my posts at STT, I'm not uber, but certainly turning down a lot in oppurtunity cost. But this isn't about forgoing one week of work for poker its more so to enjoy the rest of the summer, there is certainl utility in that.

Maulik
08-08-2005, 11:18 AM
bump so i can do something before noon.

webmonarch
08-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Why not split the difference. Just explain that you had a different date in mind, and you will come in for 2.5 days next week as a compromise. If they scoff, then say that "as a favor" you will come in for the whole week.

You either get 2.5 days off or look like the good guy by staying longer.

Ulysses
08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Urinate in his office.

durron597
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or look like the good guy by staying longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you really don't. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. 5 days is a very short amount of time anyway and this kind of thing could effect the rest of your life.

08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, I thought I my last day of work was this Friday, August 12, but my supervisor has the following week.
Should I stick it out another week or ask if I may have the upcoming week off? I really don't enjoy my job, but I have been working on & off here during the school year and worked here this summer because I was too lazy to find a better internship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at all the miserable guys in their 30's and 40's and 50's - the guys that hate their jobs, hate their bosses, and hate their lives. Every single day, they're about this close to shooting their boss because they have absolutely no control over any aspect of their lives. Every single minute of the workday is filled with doing whatever The Man wants. Every single shred of self-respect is gone. Do you know what started that trip to hell?

Agreeing to something minor when they were very young, like working an extra week when they knew goddamn well that they weren't supposed to.

Don't take the first step down the road to misery. Go tell your boss that Friday is your last day and you'll see him in hell before you see him in the office after 8/12.

Then urinate in his office.

usmfan
08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Urinate on his leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Dudd
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at all the miserable guys in their 30's and 40's and 50's - the guys that hate their jobs, hate their bosses, and hate their lives. Every single day, they're about this close to shooting their boss because they have absolutely no control over any aspect of their lives. Every single minute of the workday is filled with doing whatever The Man wants. Every single shred of self-respect is gone. Do you know what started that trip to hell?

Agreeing to something minor when they were very young, like working an extra week when they knew goddamn well that they weren't supposed to.

Don't take the first step down the road to misery. Go tell your boss that Friday is your last day and you'll see him in hell before you see him in the office after 8/12.

Then urinate in his office.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the second post I've seen by this guy today, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying this gimmick account.

turnipmonster
08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
ask your boss if he has a minute to talk about something (i.e., don't talk to him about it in the hallway or by the coffee pot or something). explain to him that there was a misunderstanding and you thought you'd have that week off, and thus made plans to (go away with gf/road trip with friends/donk off all your money playing tourneys). whatever.

tell him you can probably get out of the plans you've made because you don't want to leave on bad terms of course, but is there any way he can give you the week off? basically you want to come across as being nice and willing to go the extra mile for him, but at the same time make him feel like a total tool for not giving you a week off. throw something in about it being your senior year to give him some perspective.