PDA

View Full Version : The Vatican knows the score with Jesus

Parmenides
03-18-2003, 08:47 PM
"VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican said on Tuesday countries that decide to wage war on Iraq without a global consensus must take responsibility before God and history -- making clear the Pope would not endorse their actions.

"Those who decide that all peaceful means that international law makes available are exhausted assume a grave responsibility before God, their conscience and history," said Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls.

Navarro-Valls' comment was the Vatican's first official reaction to Washington's ultimatum to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to go into exile within 48 hours or face war. "

The sound of American jack boots can be heard goose stepping and saluting a man who deserted the Texas Air National Guard.

John Cole
03-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Parmenides vs. Bruce "Lethal Force" Z.

Seconds?

John Cole
03-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Note: I regret my post above; my better angels have deserted me for the moment.

John

Clarkmeister
03-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Can you ask the Vatican a question for me? I'd like to know who God likes in the NCAA tournament this year. Thanks.

Mark H
03-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Thats very good news its about time the catholic church owned up to its past atrocities. I hope they will pay back all the money they have stolen over their history as well. Mark H /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Jimbo
03-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Gee whiz! Stop the presses! The pope opposes the war! This is why I read these forums, to learn something I could never have guessed! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I thought the Pope was polish not French.

brad
03-18-2003, 09:24 PM
'I thought the Pope was polish not French. '

im pretty sure hes catholic.

Jimbo
03-18-2003, 09:29 PM
"im pretty sure hes catholic." Oh, that Pope!!!

MMMMMM
03-18-2003, 10:37 PM
One of the problems with the concept of "global consensus" is that the number of despotic, totalitarian regimes outnumber the relatively decent, democratic governments.

In addition, countries have their own particular economic ties and interests.

Hence, finding any sort of genuine "global consensus" for actual good is unlikely--unless it is a joint effort to stop invading mercenaries from the dog star, Sirius.

HDPM
03-19-2003, 12:41 AM
You know the guy you use to judge your football bets? The guy who you just go opposite from and get 75% winners? The natural born loser dude? He bets Redskins so you bet Cowboys kind of deal. Everybody knows a guy like that. Well, the historical trend is to use the Pope as your guy like that. Oppose the Pope at all opportunities and you'll have a winning record in life. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

El Dukie
03-19-2003, 12:50 AM
Actually, Poland has offered to send troops (albeit a small contingent) to assist. I'm sure there are a few Catholics among them. BTW, I think the last military engagement the Vatican actually endorsed was one of the Crusades.... I know they were conspicuously silent during WWII....

Mason Malmuth
03-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Hi Clark:

It's amazing, but I have these discussions with my wife all the time. My answer is, "Well, who created probability theory, and because it was created, who he might like doesn't matter?"

Of course who WildBill likes is a different matter.

Best wishes,
Mason

Clarkmeister
03-19-2003, 01:26 AM
"It's amazing, but I have these discussions with my wife all the time. My answer is, "Well, who created probability theory, and because it was created, who he might like doesn't matter?""

Similar to the "God created free will so isn't responsible for all the evil things men do" arguement, eh? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

"Of course who WildBill likes is a different matter."

No doubt. He gave us all Tampa Bay at 15-1 before the NFL season started. The man is the 'E. F. Hutton' of the sports gambling forum.

BruceZ
03-19-2003, 01:33 AM
You were still within the time limit for deleting it, but chose not to. Just an observation /forums/images/icons/smile.gif How about 2+2 celebrity bowling, I'm getting much better at that.

John Cole
03-19-2003, 01:50 AM
Bruce,

I know I was well within the time limit--and I knew someone would spot that. No offense meant to either of you (really). Hell, I'm just relieved I don't have to look at Matt Damon (is that his name?) anymore.

John