PDA

View Full Version : How much money to the big tourney players have?

Toddy
08-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Im very curious about this. How much is Phil Ivey, Daniel Negranu, Howard Lederer have? I mean are they worth 10's of millions? Just wondering because I was reading a Barry Greenstein article saying alot of them don't really have many and have to be backed.

SayGN
08-08-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't have a real answer for you, but I don't think that Negreanu and Lederer are the players that Greenstein was talking about. These guys aren't strictly tournament players. I think there was some talk about how lederer could hold his own at greenstein's game but didn't feel comfortable with the stakes. Those are some pretty huge stakes, and you can be rich without having the bankroll to play there consistently. Based on the life that Negreanu talks about in his blog and the fact that he is making decent money off his cash game challenges leads me to believe that he is also a winning player and does not have to be backed. And as for Phil Ivey...Greenstein called him one of the world's top 5 players. Ivey plays against greenstein in the world's biggest cash game on a nightly basis and he shows a solid profit. I don't know how much money alot of the "espn pros" make, but the guys you just listed are a cut above the hacks that greenstein talked about in his article.

08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Some pros pay, some are sponsored, but all the players mentioned are very well off.. Ivey plays in some of the biggest cash games in the world and wins.. Negreanu made 4.4 million dollars (on the books) in 2004 (Refer to card player magazine for money standings and rankings).. So nobody's going hungry /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SmileyEH
08-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Big tourney pro's will often either be millionaires or broke. You need a multi million dollar bankroll to play 10k buy in tournaments for a living, but most don't have that type of cash so they are backed. Then they win, give 50% to their backers or whatever, and then go lose the rest at high stakes cash games. Rinse. Repeat.

-SmileyEH

amulet
08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
you chose 3 well off players. ivy has made $10 million plus each of the past 2 yrs at cash games. lederer is a top limit player (although he does not play in the biggest games). he also has been smart in making $ from the explosion in poker, and does not lose million at craps, sports betting etc. as already posted negranu had a great year last year. however, plenty of the top players, lose their money at other games, games where they do not have positive expectations. while others (phil helmuth for example) are not winning cash game players. helmuth is now doing well because of his book and dvds, but he has had troubles over the years, despite being a great tournament player. others owe millions (off and on).