PDA

View Full Version : 88 - set on the flop - play for the whole stack

tomtemor
08-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Just wan't some oppinions on this hand, guess it's not very hard to play at all though.

Flop; bad raise, small raise?

Turn; Too big of a bet?

River; Perfectly fine to push, or?

BB is 36, 8, 0,75 ... I don't know what to put him on, he just calls all the way, it crossed my mind that he was on a draw, but hey, where's the draw?

Button ($50)
SB ($160.75)
BB ($48.60)
UTG ($40.05)
MP1 ($64.55)
Hero ($49.25)
CO ($85)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.25) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button folds, BB calls $7, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($19.25) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.

River: ($59.25) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $21.75 (All-In), BB calls $21.10 (All-In).

Final Pot: $102.10

NYCNative
08-08-2005, 08:07 AM
In late position I will raise with 8s more often than not as I can often take down a pot with a continuation bet even if I miss my set and even if there are overs. But that's a personal preference. Many people play 8s for set value even with position and that's fine too.

After the flop, MP1 overbet the pot but your raise is still weak. I pop that up to $10 there at least, maybe more. Yes it's a fairly uncoordinated board but you could be up against a straight draw so make it expensive.

Raising more on the flop makes a turn push mandatory but even without that, I probably overbet the turn and push since you're pretty much committed here anyway. What river card comes that causes you to fold your last $20 after you've put in $30 already?

subzero
08-08-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In late position I will raise with 8s more often than not as I can often take down a pot with a continuation bet even if I miss my set and even if there are overs. But that's a personal preference. Many people play 8s for set value even with position and that's fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same. Since you'll only flop a set or better about 12% of the time, it's important to try to get some value out of the hand when you miss.

BB probably has two pair (or an overplayed AJ). I can't imagine that he'd call your turn bet with a straight draw. If he did, he's bad and he'll give the money back really soon.

ryanghall
08-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Looks fine other than the flop. I'd probably actually smoothcall this flop.

Ryan

fuzzbox
08-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Looks great to me.

08-08-2005, 08:51 AM
This play is fine from you and if he shows something like Q9
I'd type in LOL and buy back in! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

yvesaint
08-08-2005, 08:54 AM
You know what, I just realized, I have no idea wtf BB has by the time showdown comes. The only thing comes to mind is some really weirdly played flopped two-pair.

tomtemor
08-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Seems like I weren't the only one having problems putting this guy on a hand. After my pot bet on the turn I just couldnt put him on a draw. In general people seems to think I played the hand okey at least.

[ QUOTE ]
This play is fine from you and if he shows something like Q9
I'd type in LOL and buy back in! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty close, he showed me 79o and actually told me he picked up a double belly buster on the turn and the play wasn't all that bad. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NYCNative
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
If you raised more on the flop and/or pushed the turn you would have priced him out of those calls. Or he would have made calls that were -EV.

yvesaint
08-08-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you raised more on the flop and/or pushed the turn you would have priced him out of those calls. Or he would have made calls that were -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop raise was okay, although making it 9 probably would have been better. BB was making calls that were -EV -- he called a 3-bet cold with a gutshot, then called a pot-size with a double gutshot with only one card to come.

djoyce003
08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
pretty horrible play on his part...just rebuy it happens.

tomtemor
08-08-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he made -EV calls as it was played?

By the way, if I were BB I would have pushed the river. I don't like his check much at all, what do you guys say?

fuzzbox
08-08-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, if I were BB I would have pushed the river. I don't like his check much at all, what do you guys say?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of his play was pretty sucky too, so why just focus on his river suckiness ?

tomtemor
08-08-2005, 11:12 AM
You have a point!

LottaFagina
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of his play was pretty sucky too, so why just focus on his river suckiness ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that the fish are thinking about +/- EV when calling large bets? How can you bet them out of a pot when they don't understand the math and are chasing cards that may or may not hit? (ignore me, i'm still angry about my weekend fish who call any bet with Any Ace or hit a flop of Q94 with Q9o after calling my large pre-flop bet with Kings.)

Brad F.
08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that the fish are thinking about +/- EV when calling large bets? How can you bet them out of a pot when they don't understand the math and are chasing cards that may or may not hit? (ignore me, i'm still angry about my weekend fish who call any bet with Any Ace or hit a flop of Q94 with Q9o after calling my large pre-flop bet with Kings.)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't, therefore +EV for us.

Brad

jbrock
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Every one of the bb's calls were -ev.

Flop: Calling $7 with only a gutshot.

Turn: Calling a potsized bet with 8 outs. The implied odds are not there given the stack sizes.

I would lose my stack here with the set as well. If you go crazy pushing on the turn, you will lose value in the long run. Make a note and follow this person around.

jb

nietzreznor
08-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I would either raise more on the flop or just smooth call. Other than that, your play is fine, villain's turn call is definitely -EV (villain calls $20 on turn to win $40 in pot + possible additional $20 on river, 3:1 on money but he's a 4:1 dog).