PDA

View Full Version : Steals with reraises

NYCNative
08-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Almost anyone who plays HE has thrown out position raises to try and steal the blinds and other dead money from the limpers in the pot. Has anyone tried to do this with reraises?

I imagine a scenaro where a villain is really aggressive preflop and raising a lot of marginal hands but really timid postflop (a characterization that seems to fit a lot of small stakes NL players) open-raises. You, on the button, reraise, representing a real monster, and this takes down a slightly larger pot especially if you get called by the raiser and the flop is all rags and you toss a continuation bet out there and he takes his KJo and flees.

I have not had the fortitude to try this yet, mainly because I do not trust villain to NOT have a monster that one time I decide to make the move and villains at this level will push all-in as long as no overcards show up no matter HOW hard they have been reraised so getting them to laydown a PP is often a scary proposition. Many also don't worry about having their top pair outkicked with a King or Ace on board.

Despite my misgivings, has anyone here tried the Reraise Steal? How'd it go? Is this a part of your arsenal or way too FPS for lower limits?

MINETZ
08-08-2005, 05:30 AM
I use it in two scinerios:
One is when your playing vs a player who raising two different amounts such as 3.5 BB's with mediocre hands and 5 BB's with good hands, if they do this move in early or middle and there is another caller, i like to bump it to just take down the free money right there.
Another is when someone with a huge PFR that you know opens with a lot of holdings open in middle and you can just bump it and take it down, beware dont use this one too often on the same player tho, most people who play this way wont tolerate you re raising them PF and play back at you, you can also use this to your advantage by getting em with a good hand the second or 3rd time you do this.
Noah