PDA

View Full Version : Quantifying Leaks

beachbum
08-08-2005, 04:48 AM
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately as my winrate really since last November has been anything but impressive. Obviously we all have leaks, but where should we start looking for them? What leaks generally impact our game and winrate the most?

There will definitely have to be some generalizations and assumptions made for the following poll:

- Assume a mid-limit (maybe 5/10 or 10/20)
- Hero is a slightly winning player
- Hero has decent (but not great) postflop skills
- Each leak in question is average in its severity

Also, some questions (possible leaks) are interrelated and do overlap somewhat. Lastly, these numbers of course are not measurable but highly subjective. I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts.

In answering each question, just choose the best amount that each leak 'costs' us in winrate:

Spaded
08-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Not raising enough hands preflop is always brought up, especially in the SSNL forums. People are always getting criticized for having it too low. People are always saying that increasing it will help by a significant margin.

Webster
08-08-2005, 07:06 AM
There are a lot of default opinions out here that are nice sound bites and are WAY to general.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

Oblivious
08-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Umm...

frequency * cost per event = cost

beachbum
08-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Seems like the most expensive leak so far is tilt. Also, it's interesting that blind steal/defense hasn't been given a higher importance.

08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I think we will start to see some statistically significant results once about 100 people vote. Keep an eye out for mistakes that have more responses in the lower half of cost, and mistakes that have majority response in the higher half of cost. I think the mistakes where you put "too much/ too little" are not clear enough to get a good result.