PDA

View Full Version : Shirt or no shirt underneath?

JC21
08-08-2005, 03:24 AM
I always thought it was fine to wear a nice, casual long-sleeved botton-down shirt with the top two buttons undone and no shirt underneath. According to several female friends, however, a white t-shirt or beater should ALWAYS be worn underneath. Apparently, it is more attractive to have a white shirt showing underneath, and also prevents my nipples from being visible. So what's the deal with this? I'm certainly more comfortable without two layers of clothing, but is it the norm to wear something underneath?

08-08-2005, 03:32 AM
What exactly is a wifebeater?

And how much gold jewelry do you wear? If it's a lot, then go no shirt, like Scotty Nguyen. Otherwise, wear a shirt.

Edge34
08-08-2005, 03:32 AM
You're fine as long as you're not Teen Wolf or David Hasselhoff.

Edge34
08-08-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious?

08-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Yes, I have no idea what that means.

08-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Wife beater:
http://www.findcoolclothes.com/products/large_photos/L13wifebeater.jpg

Edge34
08-08-2005, 03:39 AM
AKA A-shirts, tight-fitting tank tops, often seen on overweight drunks who are often on "Cops" for domestic abuse calls.

Or, as seen in this random google hit, worn by people who foolishly think they look good on their own...

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/shav_wife.jpg

08-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Always wear a white shirt.

nothumb
08-08-2005, 03:41 AM
I think on a darker shirt you are more apt to get away with it. Any shirt where you can see your nipples through it runs a high risk of looking terrible with no beater. I really don't like to wear t-shirts under a button down and generally I think it looks terrible.

NT

08-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Oh ok, I usually just call them sleeveless shirts.

shant
08-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I accidentally voted Yes when I meant to vote No.

imported_CaseClosed326
08-08-2005, 03:48 AM
I always wear one. A buddy of my never does, not much body hair, but you can see nipple through the light colored shirts. It is weird.

chuddo
08-08-2005, 03:50 AM
http://www.guess.com/Images/guess/Shop/Mens/men_img.jpg
http://www.kennethcole.com/img/thumb/KC_15G6506_mdn_tn.jpg
http://www.magicantonio.com/images/rocks-rings_08.jpg
http://www.magicantonio.com/images/ask-antonio_08.jpg
http://www.magicantonio.com/images/poker-magic_08.jpg
clearly no t-shirt necessary

mantasm
08-08-2005, 04:01 AM
If you're going to leave the top two buttons unbuttoned, you probably need to wear an undershirt. It'll set your gold chain off from your chest nicely. I usually don't wear an undershirt, but I usually only leave the top button undone. And I guess if your shirt is thin enough to show nipple, an undershirt would be apropos.

JC21
08-08-2005, 04:02 AM
After seeing those pictures of Antonio E., I feel less inclined to wear no shirt underneath.

shant
08-08-2005, 04:02 AM
You're not winning any argument if you use Antonio Esfandiari as a standard model for how men should act.

chuddo
08-08-2005, 04:04 AM
i kid. always looking for a reason to go to magicantonio.com.

but yeah, no t-shirt necessary. unless you are a beast. and if thats the case just wear a poncho.

DasLeben
08-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Always wear a shirt underneath. In fact, I mostly wear polos and I always wear a white undershirt.

Claunchy
08-08-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I accidentally voted Yes when I meant to vote No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: always make the questions in the poll in the same order as in the subject line, so illiterate retards like myself can vote correctly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KaneKungFu123
08-08-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think on a darker shirt you are more apt to get away with it. Any shirt where you can see your nipples through it runs a high risk of looking terrible with no beater. I really don't like to wear t-shirts under a button down and generally I think it looks terrible.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet avatar. i liked the beginning of that movie alot. couldnt get all the way to the end though.

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AKA A-shirts, tight-fitting tank tops, often seen on overweight drunks who are often on "Cops" for domestic abuse calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have to be tight fitting.

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Is this you?

http://photos.arcteksat.com/gallery/albums/album08/Rico_Suave_2_001.sized.jpg

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is more comfortable and just as attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize the whole reason someone suggested you need to wear one is that it is not at all attractive to start with. Just button one of your buttons, Rico Suave.

CCass
08-08-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Always wear a white shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

jnalpak
08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
a white shirt underneath is NOT the correct look unless you sweat like a beast and get those sweat marks underneath your pits, then its ok...

i have NEVER worn one of those shirts but then again i wear suits on occasion and just cover up the sweat with the jacket.

besides sweat can someone give a reasonable explanation for this?

hoopsie44
08-08-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have to be tight fitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But a spaghetti sauce stain is mandatory.

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
]They don't have to be tight fitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But a spaghetti sauce stain is mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always assumed it was blood.

BoogerFace
08-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Depends on the venue. No nipples at work or church or grandma's house. At a heroin den or gay bar - fine.

Under no circumstances is a mesh shirt okay - ever.

RacersEdge
08-08-2005, 11:38 AM
It's more about style. What's the function of a tie? Layered clothes just gives you a more stylish look.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-08-2005, 11:45 AM
wearing something underneath prevents your nipples from showing and it also absorbs some sweat that might show on the nice shirt, especially if you're doing something like clubbing or dancing or whatever. it also keeps your nice shirts a little cleaner too so you don't have to wash them all the time after you wear them just once for a dinner.

sfer
08-08-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought it was fine to wear a nice, casual long-sleeved botton-down shirt with the top two buttons undone and no shirt underneath.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the obvious problem here wasn't corrected means your friends are not to be trusted.

BottlesOf
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
First, never wear a beater. Ever.

Second, V-neck undershirts, allow you to have an undershirt on, but you don't see the white collar peeking out.

Third, I think there are definitely occasions where no undershirt is permissable, but I'm not a big fan.

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, never wear a beater. Ever.

Second, V-neck undershirts, allow you to have an undershirt on, but you don't see the white collar peeking out.

Third, I think there are definitely occasions where no undershirt is permissable, but I'm not a big fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect response.

I went without an undershirt on saturday because it was hot and I had to wear a jacket to dinner.

dibbs
08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
No shirt underneath is quite trashy.

shadow29
08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
And also if you sweat it doesn't stain the white button down shirt. I had a prof that had terrible yellow stains under his arms. And when he got excited he would wave his arms and we would see the yellow.

Not cool.

(Also I voted yes and meant to vote no.)

Eurotrash
08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
undershirt is the way to go.

morgan180
08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're fine as long as you're not Teen Wolf or David Hasselhoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Soul Daddy
08-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I usually wear white t-shirts under my t-shirts.

maxfisher
08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought it was fine to wear a nice, casual long-sleeved botton-down shirt with the top two buttons undone and no shirt underneath. According to several female friends, however, a white t-shirt or beater should ALWAYS be worn underneath. Apparently, it is more attractive to have a white shirt showing underneath, and also prevents my nipples from being visible. So what's the deal with this? I'm certainly more comfortable without two layers of clothing, but is it the norm to wear something underneath?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm wearing a wifebeater under a button-down with the top 2 buttons undone as i type this. always, i repeat always wear some sort of undershirt. but not always white, something that contrasts with the overshirt is better, layering is the way to go!

Felix_Nietsche
08-08-2005, 12:55 PM
1. Protect your nice shirts.
If you don't use t-shirts the sweat stains will build up making your shirt look trashy and eventually forever smelly. Wife beaters are useless unless you just want to look cool. T-shirts wear out after 3 or 4 years and you just toss them (sweat stains and all).
2. Looks better.
3. It may actually keep you cooler.
I realize the additional layer of clothing acts as an extra way to trap body heat ...BUT... this is offset by the t-shirt sponging up sweat and cooling you.

jesusarenque
08-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Undershirts are for preppy frat boys. Gross.

Laomedon
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Unless you sweat profusely or have inordinate amounts of chest hair, generally an undershirt is not required. Personally, I never rock a beater or an undershit in the summer. Way too hot for that [censored].

Nottom
08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's more about style. What's the function of a tie? Layered clothes just gives you a more stylish look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought a tie was to cover the buttons.

Eurotrash
08-08-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure it is.

GuyOnTilt
08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
For the type of shirts you're talking about:

No white shirts, no white beaters. Black beaters look good, white do not. Black undershirts looks alright, white do not. Black beaters are definitely the answer.

GoT

masse75
08-08-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this you?

http://photos.arcteksat.com/gallery/albums/album08/Rico_Suave_2_001.sized.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I just shat myself laughing.

HDPM
08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
where does the bow tie fit in then?

JC21
08-09-2005, 01:34 AM
The vote is pretty close, but I'm starting to consider wearing a shirt underneath. I'm still going without a shirt underneath for nice occasions, but when I'm just hanging out, I suppose I could wear something underneath.

ChoicestHops
08-09-2005, 01:37 AM
I always wear an undershirt. Im wearing a simple undershirt right now.

-Skeme-
08-09-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wife beater:
http://www.findcoolclothes.com/products/large_photos/L13wifebeater.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah is that Tommy Lee?

OtisTheMarsupial
08-09-2005, 01:51 AM
The real question is

Do you want to do what a bunch of horny 13 year old boys tell you to do or do you trust the opinion of your female friends?

I, personally, would go with the people who know you IRL. They are in a better position to know about your level of chest hair, the amount you sweat, and your nippy nipples. Wear the undershirt, dude.

RacersEdge
08-09-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

But shirts can be designed to have the buttons not show.

TheTROLL
08-09-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Confused me too... here it only ever means Stella Artois, as in "a pint of your finest beater, please, my good man".