PDA

View Full Version : How to overcome a weak-tight mindset?

bridgett
03-18-2003, 04:24 PM
If you are looking for suggestions on how to overcome a weak-tight mindset, you'll hopefully find them in the responses but not in this post.

I play primarily Omaha 8 or Seven Stud hi/lo but have recently been trying to play more Holdem just because the games are more plentiful and on some sites much looser.

I bought HEFAP a couple of months ago and quickly read it and I've already read TOP (although I could use a reread of both). I've also studied Abdul's holdem strategy document. I have just a little live holdem experience and probably less than 50 hours online, mostly at low limits with a few tourneys thrown in. At limits up to $2/4 I am down slightly overall, I think a little less than .5 BB/hour. I had a really bad session at $2/4 which helped contribute to this greatly.

My question/comment is that I think the biggest problem with my game is a lack of aggression and a weak-tight mindset. I am also getting some beats that may be affecting my thinking (I've lost 5 straight times where I flopped trips and the topper, while headsup I lose a flopped AAA to a flopped QQQ with an AQ5 rainbow board to a runner runner flush. I showed plenty of aggression in that one though as we capped every street except the river. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )

So I guess what I am asking is how do you realign a passive mindset to be more aggressive? I have no problem being aggresssive preflop with Type 1 hands and will be selectively aggressive with some Type 2 and 3 but it seems I don't play well after the flop - getting pushed out of pots by scare cards or calling river bets to 'keep em honest'. Is there any hope or should I stick to the other games?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks for any and all responses.

Rockfish
03-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Disclaimer: I am not a good hold'em player.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
...I don't play well after the flop - getting pushed out of pots by scare cards or calling river bets to 'keep em honest'.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like my game.

My feeling about why I have problems with hold'em, and that may relate to your problem is that after the flop, I don't have a clear plan. Anybody can memorize the starting hand tables and knows to be aggressive with group 1 hands etc.

I am a stud player who also plays stud/8 and occasionally O/8. I've studied the hell out of stud which is why I do well enough in that game. I have learned to be patient playing the hi/lo games.

What these games have in common for me is that on every card in almost every common situation I know what card I want to see, what card I don't want to see and what I'm going to do with it when it shows up. In other words, I have a plan.

What I need to do, and what you may also need to do is to develop a plan for post-flop play. There are better players here than I who can advise you on how to handle specific post-flop situations.

I am beginning (finally...I'm a little thick) to think in terms of how my hand relates to the board and other possible hands that my opponent could be holding. In hold'em our hands are interdependent in terms of value based on the flop. This is a different mind-set than required for a stud game, or for O/8 where you play for the nuts.

I'm going to re-read HPFAP21 and give hold'em another try, but not until I have a plan.

I hope this helps a little.

Rockfish

AceHigh
03-18-2003, 06:07 PM
"how to overcome a weak-tight mindset"

Knowledge and practice/experience. Being overly aggressive at inoppurtune times can be very expensive.

You can't read HEFAP too many times.

"Is there any hope "

Of course, 50 hours is nothing. Stick to Hold 'em if you enjoy it.

davidross
03-18-2003, 06:11 PM
In my opinion there is hope to change. No doubt some people are naturally more aggressive than others. I am not nearly as aggressive as a lot of the posters here, it’s just not my nature. But I have learned t become 10 times more aggressive than I was a year ago. Here are my suggestions for what they’re worth.

1) You can win at low limits playing weak-tight. There are not enough good players there that will discover your weakness and push you off hands. If you find yourself being constantly raised by the same person, change games. The number of bad players should ensure you some small wins playing appropriately tight.
2) I suggest staying at lower limits until you feel more confident with your game.
3) Work on one aspect of your game at a time. Start pre-flop. Do you limp first in with any hands in middle or late position? If so start raising them. Even if you lose with them and get caught you will get lots more action on your good hands later. Defend your blinds more aggressively against steals. 3-bet button raisers instead of just calling.
4) Post flop aggression is difficult until you are more familiar with the game. You have to get a grasp on which hands are more profitable. Start semi-bluffing in appropriate situations. Bet/Raise your draws aggressively on the flop if you have 2 or more opponents.
5) Don’t be too tight heads-up. Call the opponent down. Most people are very reluctant to bluff many opponents so bets in multi-way pots are more meaningful. Keep notes on your opponents. Anytime you see a bluff on the turn or river note it. When you sit down at a table check to see if you have notes on the other players. Bluffers are habitual.

These are pretty general tips. I guess my message is that you can make yourself more aggressive. I doubt you can get to the level of aggression of say Dynasty or Clarkmeister, but I’ve managed to get to a level that will win me some money.