PDA

View Full Version : omg my computer is screwed

WackityWhiz
08-08-2005, 03:22 AM
I turn on my computer and as soon as my desktop comes up, it says "Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close." It gives me no option to click on start or anything. If I press f8 @ startup and run it in safe mode, it still doesn't work. I've tried everything and I just can't get my desktop to load.

So, I have a few questions...

I want to recover my pokertracker database, is there ANY way I can get access to that?

I made a backup CD for my computer about a month ago, if I format my computer, how do I use the backup CD? Do I use the backup CD to format, or do I run the Windows CD and then, when Windows has installed all of the basics, run the backup CD?

tinga81
08-08-2005, 04:55 AM
My first recommendation would be to use the recover option from the Windows XP install disk. If that gets you any closer to your desktop, then we're in business (even if it's to burn off a copy of the database/any other files you want, and then re-install windows). If this fails, then ...

If you're looking to recover your poker tracker database, the best option for this (since it's a large file) is to hook up the hard drive to another computer and follow the rules per poker tracker to make a backup copy of your database.

This backup CD you're talking about .. was it made through a program that came with Windows, or another program?

The best way to backup a fresh install of an operating system (including the apps you want installed) is to use a program called Norton Ghost. Use your favorite p2p method to obtain your copy. The program is fairly easy to learn/run. If your backup cd does anything like this, then you might be alright. I'd need clarification on that from you.

WackityWhiz
08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I used whatever program was on windows to backup my files. I don't even know what is on it. I doubt my poker tracker info is on it, but I really don't know. It only took one CD to back everything up, so I'm guessing it's just the drivers and other basic stuff.

I will put in the windows xp CD that Dell gave me and see if I can do what you told me to do.

I really appreciate your help, I'll let you know what happens. I owe ya if it works.

WackityWhiz
08-08-2005, 01:36 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif UGH, I put in the Re-installation CD that dell gave me for windows XP before I started up my computer. I turned it on and it went directly to the same error message. It didn't even run the CD. I called Dell yesterday and they said that it is probably a software problem and that it will cost 80 bucks for them to fix it. I'm really frustrated now, I thought I could just format my hard drive and put this behind me.

Any other suggestions?

MyMindIsGoing
08-08-2005, 02:15 PM
If I were you I would just pop in a windows installation cd (2000 or xp) and install it. No rescue cd, no backup just a fresh new installation. Most people will do almost anything to not reinstall the operating system, but it is a good thing doing it, all your problems will be gone and everything will work wo much better. And if you hade partitioned your drive into two (or more) partitions and saved your stuff on any other partition than the one with the os (recomended) nothing important would be lost.

tinga81
08-08-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used whatever program was on windows to backup my files. I don't even know what is on it. I doubt my poker tracker info is on it, but I really don't know. It only took one CD to back everything up, so I'm guessing it's just the drivers and other basic stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't used the Windows backup option you're talking about, so I cannot help you with that. More than likely, you're right on the backup of the drivers/windows basic setting, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif UGH, I put in the Re-installation CD that dell gave me for windows XP before I started up my computer. I turned it on and it went directly to the same error message. It didn't even run the CD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure the boot order is set correctly to allow the CD-ROM to boot up first (go into BIOS and change the order)

[ QUOTE ]
I called Dell yesterday and they said that it is probably a software problem and that it will cost 80 bucks for them to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like some spyware messed your [censored] up good. I could be way off, but it's a shot in the dark. Sending the computer to Dell may be more of a hassle than you want to deal with. You'll have to ship to Dell, wait. They fix it, you wait. They send it back, you're still waiting. Finally, you get it back, and all the files (mainly the PT database seems to be what you're worried about) are gone. And now you're f'd. Dell doesn't know what you want to keep/get rid of. More than likely, they'll just load their Dell garbage back onto your computer.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really frustrated now, I thought I could just format my hard drive and put this behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hook up your hard drive to another computer, backup everything you want, and then put the drive back in the original computer. Run your format/re-install. This seems like the best method (and usually is) to solve these problems.

WackityWhiz
08-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm in the process of transferring my stuff to an external hard drive as we speak. You guys saved me 80 bucks, and a lot of wait time. If i have any problems with the external (which I probably will cuz i'm a n00b) then I'll be back.

thx sooooo much

08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
I backed up my C drive with BackUpMyPC. I put the backup on an external harddrive. If anything should happen, it's there.

There is a thing called a recovery console that you should have gotten with your PC . It basically allows you to boot up your PC with it. There is also a hacked version of it online if you don't have one. I can give you the link if you need it. I can verify that it works because I've used it. It allows you to copy files and repair files , etc. I'm not expert with it but if you knew which file was causing you the problem you could potentially overwrite the bad file with a good one and your problem would be fixed.

All of my important info is on my C drive/operating drive so I'd be screwed if something happened to mine. Good luck with it.