PDA

View Full Version : Awful Push near bubble or Bad Luck?

08-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Looking at huge blinds on the bubble, and I knew that moves needed to be made if I was to be in position to win. This is a Stars 5+1.
Pushed with middle pair on a flop that wasnt too too scary, however AJ KJ QJ JJ (his range with the PF raise) did have me beat.

Did I misplay this hand and make an awful push? Or did I just run into a monster..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2650)
Button (t803)
SB (t7350)
Hero (t2697)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1300) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t2097 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t2050 (All-In).

Turn: (t5447) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t5447) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5447

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Ts (two pair, jacks and tens).
UTG has Jd Js (four of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: UTG wins t5400. Hero wins t47. </font>

Matt R.
08-08-2005, 02:04 AM
I'd fold preflop. Playing QTs OOP for 400 more chips is just asking for trouble.

Nottom
08-08-2005, 02:06 AM
I'd prefer a checkraise to an open push here, but you should have just let it go preflop probably.

yabastid
08-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Dude, you MUST fold this preflop. It's not even close.

yabastid

freemoney
08-08-2005, 02:08 AM
yeah pre is bad, flop is fine, almost every tough fold when blinds and pots get huge are really bad.

08-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the replies...

Can i just ask, in general, when these blinds start escalating like crazy and I have a mid stack, what type of hands am I playing PF? Whats my range here?

Thanks

fluorescenthippo
08-08-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Can i just ask, in general, when these blinds start escalating like crazy and I have a mid stack, what type of hands am I playing PF? Whats my range here?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

that question is to general. as far as your range here, i would usually push all in with AQ+, TT+.

morgan180
08-08-2005, 02:32 AM
fold pf.

Matt R.
08-08-2005, 02:34 AM
With the 800 chip stack in there and the blinds only at 100/200 you need to play fairly tightly, especially when calling raises. To tangle with anyone but the short stack -- until he busts or improves his stack significantly -- I'd need a pretty big hand, probably 99+, AQs+ to call a raise. Raising yourself is a different story, but you really should call raises sparingly until the stack situation changes. Now, if the initial raiser is capable of folding to a reraise, that's a different story...

Nottom
08-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Part of the reason you need to be so tight here is the presence of the short stack hanging around. You don't really want to risk a costly 2nd best hand until he is gone.

I honestly don't think the preflop call is nearly as bad as people are saying since the stacks are somewhat deep, but if you are going to play it post flop like this you are probablt better off letting these marginal hands go.

yabastid
08-08-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds may be escalating but you are in fine shape here. You have 1 big stack at the table, one shorty, and another equal with yours. With 13BB's you have PLENTY of time. Experience will teach you that you are still in good enough shape to win this tourny.
As the blinds escalate, remember you want to be the one pushing your chips in not calling your chips off. It's mucher better to push with Q10 than to call with Q10. Play lots, post lots and soon you'll start to get a feel for bubble play. Your question about PF hand selection is just way too general.

yabastid