PDA

View Full Version : NFL voting on possible playoff expansion

Clarkmeister
03-18-2003, 03:37 PM
The NFL owners are voting on whether or not to expand the playoffs to 7 teams per conference. I think its a bad idea as enough marginal teams make it in as is. Do we really need 2 more sacrificial lambs that didn't do enough during the regular season? I hope they keep it at 6.

marbles
03-18-2003, 03:48 PM
The formula works beautifully as it is... Why in tarnation would they want to mess with it? Can't imagine something like this would pass.

B-Man
03-18-2003, 03:51 PM
It will pass, if not this year then within the next year or so. More playoff games = more money.

Homer
03-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Personally, I think they should keep the number of qualifying teams at six per conference. In fact, I would like it even better if they reduced the number of teams from six to four (one wildcard), because as you said, there are too many marginal teams making the playoffs.

Making the playoffs in football is supposed to be a real accomplishment, unlike in the NBA and NHL.

-- Homer

p.s. - In my dreams, the playoffs consist of a single conference semifinal game, and a best of three series for the conference and NFL championships. I realize the players would keel over and die from playing that many games, but hey, it's my dream.

IrishHand
03-18-2003, 04:47 PM
I think any more than 4 is a bastardization of the regular season.