PDA

View Full Version : Trapping with too weak a hand? AJo on bubble.

Jman28
08-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Okay, this wasn't totally a trap. I didn't know if he would come over the top with a wide range here, although I suspected it because of the stack size situation.

I figured that pushing would be slightly +EV, but he'd only call if I'm beat. I thought I could do better by seeing a flop or catching him stealing, even though I know I shouldn't want to gamble here.

Just yell at me or something.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t5464)
UTG (t1565)
Button (t1120)
Hero (t1851)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

2 Folds. Hero Completes. BB Pushes. Hero calls with a disgusted look on his face...

Hendricks433
08-08-2005, 12:33 AM
I think I raise here. I hate AJ and I dont feel confident trapping cause if he has 2 live cards he still has some good chances. The only hand I actually like seeing here is A,10 and down. I dont think this is a good time to pull a play like this with 4th not getting paid.

Shillx
08-08-2005, 12:35 AM
If he would only call if you are beat, you need to push here. The time to either complete or fold is when he will call you with a lot of hands (say any pair/Ax/Kx or more). Push into a tighter player here all day long in this spot.

Brad

Edit - Calling the push is terrible dude. You can't afford to play a pot in this spot, even as a 2:1 favorite. So he could push, flip up 84o and you still have to fold. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hendricks433
08-08-2005, 12:37 AM
when I said Id raise I meant I probally push here just for some clarification.

ilya
08-08-2005, 12:41 AM
It's good if he's tight! This push is SERIOUSLY unprofitable if he calls with 100% of his hands, but decently profitable if he only calls with 22+, AJ+.

Hard to believe he's loose enough to make this unprofitable (it's still marginally proitable if he calls with top 20%), so I would push.

If you choose to complete though, you gotta fold when he pushes. Calling is very bad.

psyduck
08-08-2005, 01:04 AM
amazingly bad call!

Nottom
08-08-2005, 01:12 AM
If you don't intend on calling with a smile on your face limping is terrible.

Well even if you do its still terrible.

Jman28
08-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys... I just needed a little discipline.

curtains
08-08-2005, 04:05 AM
I of course always move allin here preflop.

Jman28
08-08-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I of course always move allin here preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I know. I know.

I'm an ass.

curtains
08-08-2005, 04:13 AM
btw didnt see there was an 1100 and 1500 stack. Only saw the 1500 stack and quickly assumed it was impossible that anyone was lower than that because then limping and calling an allin is so bad that I couldnt even imagine it possible from you. I'm not even joking, this was my exact thought process, thus didnt even bother noticing the other stack size.

Anyway yea, this way of playing is dreadfully bad on the bubble with 1800 chips and two shorter stacks.

lastchance
08-08-2005, 04:13 AM
The fact that he'll only call when you're beat is a good thing, not a bad one.

Push.

Jman28
08-08-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

btw didnt see there was an 1100 and 1500 stack. Only saw the 1500 stack and quickly assumed it was impossible that anyone was lower than that because then limping and calling an allin is so bad that I couldnt even imagine it possible from you. I'm not even joking, this was my exact thought process, thus didnt even bother noticing the other stack size.

Anyway yea, this way of playing is dreadfully bad on the bubble with 1800 chips and two shorter stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you man. I honestly am this bad. I mean, this is the worst play I've made in a while, but there should be no reason for me to do this.

A winning player should not make this play ever, even as a mistake. Simple as that.

I need to spend some time on my game, something I haven't done in a while.

curtains
08-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Its okay I make bad mistakes sometimes too (they usually occur earlier in the sit and go's I think). However I will never make one like this, which is of a purely technical nature.

Jman28
08-08-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Its okay I make bad mistakes sometimes too (they usually occur earlier in the sit and go's I think). However I will never make one like this, which is of a purely technical nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I never spent enough time studying ICM calculations. Especially calling situations.

At the lower levels, it was much more important to know when to push.

When they pushed, unless you had a fairly big hand or great odds, you folded.

I also kind of learned situations that apply to more common calling ranges in lower levels. In the 215s, players call much more frequently (suprised me) and I need to go back and relearn it altogether.

tigerite
08-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Well, all's been said on this thread, you should push.. I think the QQ hand was also a fold, before I saw the results..