PDA

View Full Version : Darkness warshed over The Dude...

coffeecrazy1
08-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Despite the OOT-ness of the title, this post is in the right place.

I have made a discovery about myself that saddens me: I don't know if I'll ever be a good poker player. I have read all of the books, know most of the strategy, but I just don't have the edge.

This is not the voice of tilt talking. I love playing. It makes me happy(in a global sense, not from individual sessions).

But, I think it's going to always have to be just a hobby for me. In the back of my mind, I think I always thought how neat it would be to be a professional. It wasn't like I was trying to go pro, but I think that I believed that I had the raw talent, and it would just be a matter of whether or not the opportunity would present itself.

Sadly, I now think that I was mistaken, and was a fool to ever believe anything other than I know just enough to get myself into trouble at the table.

This is not an "I quit" post. I'll still be around...but coming out of a fantasy, no matter how big or small, is always a little painful.

autobet
08-08-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm sure you'll enjoy playing a lot more if you just play for fun, and don't have to win to pay the bills.

PairTheBoard
08-08-2005, 01:10 AM
You may just be the prick that burst the Poker Bubble, Dude. I hope you're satisfied.

PairTheBoard

MEbenhoe
08-08-2005, 01:59 AM
I don't think you need to view this as such a bad thing. You have a fun hobby that you enjoy and that you're probably good enough at that it pays for itself and then some. Sure maybe it won't be your job, but only a very small fraction of people can actually make a living off of poker longterm.

TStoneMBD
08-08-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You may just be the prick that burst the Poker Bubble, Dude. I hope you're satisfied.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

stick to religion, youre not welcomed in this region.

TStoneMBD
08-08-2005, 03:19 AM
sorry to hear that things havent worked out for you in poker. it takes many traits that cannot be learned to succeed at poker. making it as a poker pro can mean that you will be making a ton of money, but in the end its all vanity. dont feel too upset that youve failed at this, there are other things in life worth pursuing.

CaptSensible
08-08-2005, 04:50 AM
I have a great deal of respect for you. Very few people in this life have the ability to look at themselves and their lives this honestly. It puts you way ahead of the pack and shows you have a crucial life skill lacking in many people.

A friend of mine once said: "The bars are full of people saying I never gave up". To come to an honest conclusion about something in your life and to move on from it takes courage and self-awareness.

Good luck to you and have fun!

steamboatin
08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
As if there is somethig wrong with having a hobby. I say, relax and play poker for fun. I bet you know enough to be a break even player or a very small loser. Playing poker is less expensive than owning a boat and cheaper than golf.

The one downside of 2+2, is the general consenus that if you aren't the ultimate Jedi Poker Master, than you suck and should consider suicide. Everybody can't win the WSOP but there isn't any reason that you can't go down to the local card room and have some inexpensive fun.

I catch myself falling into the same trap. It's like if you can't crush the 30-60 game, you are a second class citizen.

I hate to break it to you but it is okay to enjoy the game, it is okay to play poker for fun. Obviously, play the best you can but find a game you enjoy and can beat.

USGrant
08-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I come to the same conclusion about once a week, so I know it's probably true. But I keep playing, making enough each month to pay for a few bills and hitting a nice restaurant with my girlfriend who hates poker. I know I'll never be a top player because IMO top players have a lot of gamble in them and I just don't and probably never will (that may be a good thing). But that's the reason I love poker, you don't have to gamble, you just have to play +EV. It's a beautiful thing.

PairTheBoard
08-08-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

stick to religion, youre not welcomed in this region.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me my trespasses

PairTheBoard