PDA

View Full Version : Birthday in NYC, where to go?

jnalpak
08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
ok, here is the deal...

Its the wifes bday and her bee-otch friends want me to get a dinner party together for her special day (in 2 weeks). Of course i'm all for the group dinner but the problem is i feel ive been to every damn place in the city to eat and like a typical ny'er i never remember the correct ones to keep going back to...(except the selfish ones like Wolfgangs and D&DBurke)

here is what i need from you nycOOT folks and those b&t folks that have a clue....

1)a place thats good for groups
2)a place that will take loud somewhat annoying women
3)a place that will take me dealing with this
4)GREAT FOOD (important)
5)Great Drinks!! (pretty important due to #3)

i was thinking Tony D Napolis or Sambuca or one of those sushi/karaoke joints (japas38 or whateva)
but ive been there, done that...

anyone have a great mexican joint (not dos caminos, TT) thats not a sh#thole but not corporate card expensive....

turnipmonster
08-07-2005, 10:31 PM
in my opinion best mexican in the city is rosa mexicana, followed by suenos.

jnalpak
08-07-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking Rosa's on the upper east but im not sure im feeling rosa's as of late...are there any other rosa types out there? where is suenos?

turnipmonster
08-07-2005, 10:53 PM
suenos is in chelsea (btwn 8th and 9th ave?). if you're sick of east side rosa's you could go to the lincoln center one, although I prefer the east side location.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-07-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking Rosa's on the upper east but im not sure im feeling rosa's as of late...are there any other rosa types out there? where is suenos?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DUUUUUUDE! Go to my favorite Mexican place Panchito's. It's in lower village (Noho?) on Minetta Lane and Minetta St (the nexus of the universe)...Ok, I don't think that's the actual address you'd find it under, I think it's like McDougal or something. But Panchito's is awesome...It's very laid back, they have couches and stuff if you have a big enough group that you can chill on, the food is cheap, great, and huge portions and they have like the 5th best Margarita in Manhattan or something. Whatever, just go to Panchito's.

EDIT: This isn't a very nice resteraunt or anything though, it's very much jeans and t-shirt or something. You never stated you wanted it to be classy, it's a fun place to go. Also, Mama Mexico's is somwehere uptown but I don't recall where that was fun. We pretended it was my birthday and they went nuts with the whole Mariachi band coming around and playing for our table and giving me their hat and stuff like that. Loud too, so I'm sure a group would be fine there.

Luv2DriveTT
08-08-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rosa Mexicana's executive chef and former partner quit to open Dos Caminos. Hence the amazing Guacamole.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jnalpak
08-08-2005, 09:54 AM
(bump) for the ny'ers who are now up, HELP

suenos sounds good...but im not convinced its the "best" place to go

jnalpak
08-08-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rosa Mexicana's executive chef and former partner quit to open Dos Caminos. Hence the amazing Guacamole.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dos is no good IMO but the guac is solid, i must agree on that ALONE. I think the only solid rest on that street south of 30th on Park is Avalon and dont get me started on that steak joint, yuck. Ribollita used to be great but it closed down /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ulysses
08-08-2005, 11:02 AM
The only Mexican place I've been to in NYC that hasn't sucked was Mexican Radio. It was pretty fun and pretty tasty, good place for a small group, but not especially nice by any means. Tortilla Flats is always fun as well, but I think that is a little TOO downscale for this request.

For nice Mexican, there's a Maya here, right? I've been to the one in SF and it is quite good, though a little pricey for my taste (it's still Mexican, after all).

sfer
08-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I've been to Maya in NYC and I think it's pretty mediocre.

sfer
08-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Carmine's seems like the obvious choice.

Ulysses
08-08-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, that was my original idea too before we got on the Mexican track!

turnipmonster
08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
I think mexican radio is decent but not outstanding. rosa mexicana, la palapa, mexicana mama and suenos are all have better mexican food.

BottlesOf
08-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Go to one of those Brazillian places that I can't spell where you get to eat tons.

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea, or Mamma Mexico.

Ulysses
08-08-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think mexican radio is decent but not outstanding. rosa mexicana, la palapa, mexicana mama and suenos are all have better mexican food.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I've had tons of outstanding Mexican food in Texas and Cali, so I'm just resigned to not eating much Mexican when in NYC.

2) I don't think I'm gonna trust anything you say now that I know you're a non-shampoo-using hippie.

turnipmonster
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
so yesterday I am at the beer garden with a bunch of ppl, and I get everyone at the table (~7 ppl) to run their fingers through my hair and guess how long it's been since I washed it. no one guessed longer than 2 days. 2 ppl guessed under an hour ago.

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so yesterday I am at the beer garden with a bunch of ppl, and I get everyone at the table (~7 ppl) to run their fingers through my hair and guess how long it's been since I washed it. no one guessed longer than 2 days. 2 ppl guessed under an hour ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, that's gross.

turnipmonster
08-08-2005, 11:59 AM
why?

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why?

[/ QUOTE ]

7 people's already grubby hands running through your unwashed hair.

In ASTORIA no lesss?!

I'm shuddering.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turnipmonster
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
go ask your friends in skycamefalling how often they shower on the road. none of you nits in this thread would last 3 seconds in an econoline /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

edit: plus it was mostly chicks anyways. I wouldn't let a bunch of dudes feel my hair.

IndieMatty
08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go ask your friends in skycamefalling how often they shower on the road. none of you nits in this thread would last 3 seconds in an econoline /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

edit: plus it was mostly chicks anyways. I wouldn't let a bunch of dudes feel my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it was, nice edit, I'm thinking 10 50 yr old greek men, gave you a head massage and you can't change that.

Ulysses
08-08-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the Czech beer garden in Queens?

jnalpak
08-08-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tortilla Flats is always fun as well, but I think that is a little TOO downscale for this request.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont misjudge my character /images/graemlins/smile.gif i dont mind getting down and dirty at particular places (ie, dirty mexican joints, WOHOP basement chowfun at 12:30am)

If the food is great and the decor sucks i would rather be there then like, Aureole which had a great decor and food BLOWS!

jnalpak
08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im leaning towards picking up a sambuca rez just in case the mexican thing falls through.

turnipmonster
08-08-2005, 01:43 PM
yep. it is awesome and fun.