PDA

View Full Version : TPTK Tough Decision

Mercman572
08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Villain is 28/7/2 after 30 hands. I decide to check/call turn thinking I'm way ahead. Having done that I have to call this river right? Alternative better line?
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($44)
BB ($22.95)
Hero ($90.95)
UTG+1 ($42.90)
UTG+2 ($52.80)
MP1 ($92.01)
MP2 ($99.75)
MP3 ($50)
CO ($78.67)
Button ($9.72)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

Flop: ($6.25) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, UTG+2 calls $4.

Turn: ($14.25) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($44.25) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 calls $31.30 (All-In), Hero calls $31.30.

Final Pot: $106.85

Hoopster81
08-07-2005, 09:48 PM
lead turn, fold the the re-raise saves your stack

Mercman572
08-07-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lead turn, fold the the re-raise saves your stack

[/ QUOTE ]

putting villain on what range of hands that will call with a worse hand rather than fold? I thought if I'm ahead here a second bet loses opponent, and AQ probably checks behind. Pot sized turn bet tells me MHIG at this point no?

djoyce003
08-07-2005, 10:30 PM
with the line you took, you have to call the river but I think you let him catch his queen here. If you are really lucky you sucked out on A9 here.

BZ_Zorro
08-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Flop is fine.

Turn, what range of hands bets the pot into a pf raiser with AQ on the board and no obvious draws? He's not a maniac so I'd give him credit for AQ, A9 or a set.

This is somewhat read dependent but there's no way I'm calling that river after the turn action against your typical player.

Hope it worked out.

I also think checking the turn is a bad play. People would call that flop with a lot of hands, and these same hands would call another turn bet if it wasn't too big. If you don't want to scare him off then lead weaker and make some money, but don't give a free card.

Mercman572
08-07-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop is fine.

Turn, what range of hands bets the pot into a pf raiser with AQ on the board and no obvious draws? He's not a maniac so I'd give him credit for AQ, A9 or a set.

This is somewhat read dependent but there's no way I'm calling that river after the turn action against your typical player.

Hope it worked out.

I also think checking the turn is a bad play. People would call that flop with a lot of hands, and these same hands would call another turn bet if it wasn't too big. If you don't want to scare him off then lead weaker and make some money, but don't give a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

villain has KQ /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Kq folds any turn bet I think. My range for villain after his flop call was some kind of Ace (i didn't account for the queen obviously), eihther a dominated one or 2 pair. I was trying to make the most out of that without losing too much from 2 pair. So this is a bad way to go?

BZ_Zorro
08-07-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to make the most out of that without losing too much from 2 pair. So this is a bad way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. The fact is that at $50 donks call with all kinds of hand, most of which you beat. Gutshot, weaker ace, backdoor flush, all have problems folding the turn to a weakish bet. The turn is also a great place to find out where you stand...if you lead weakly (say 1/2 pot) you'll often get a raise from a good hand, which is an easy fold against ABC players.

I'm surprised he potted the turn with KQ, but after you call it and show a willingness to see a showdown, I'd be reluctant to call the river. I wouldn't count on my hand being good 30% of the time after this action, others may disagree.