PDA

View Full Version : Flop (...and turn...and river) Bettors Anonymous

Knoler
08-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi, my name is Brian, and I'm a chronic flop bettor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I've recently moved up to 3/6 6 max, and I'm about 5K hands in. One of the things I find myself running into near constantly is how to play missed overcards against loose passive opponents, especially when HU.

I find myself raising preflop, betting the flop, betting the turn, and then checking on the river -- and I never really seem to know where I'm at.

Obviously, against these calling stations value betting is the best play. But, what do you do when you *might* be ahead, because they call with junk, but could easily be behind? When I check / fold, I just have this feeling like I'm giving up on the pot.

Here's an example. Villain is 52/22/1.3, WTSD around 45.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

My thinking on the turn is simply that I've got lots of outs , but little showdown value. So, I want to keep the pressure on.

Any suggestions?
-Brian

ArturiusX
08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
I think its an easy flop/turn bet.

Im not sure what Id do on the river, can this guy bluff?

JrJordan
08-07-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think its an easy flop/turn bet.

Im not sure what Id do on the river, can this guy bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy flop/turn combo for me too. To call the river though the villain would have to be a complete nut to the point of calling all streets with just a bluff. There's really no draw out there he can be bluffing UI. My guess would be a low pair more often than enough to make a fold the right play.

wheelz
08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
You played it fine, just didn't work out

yanicehand
08-08-2005, 12:24 AM
with 2 overs and a straight draw heads up... i can't see NOT betting the flop and turn. river i really don't think you're good nearly enough to call.