PDA

View Full Version : Would this be an unethical use of chat? Is it legal to do this?

Unoriginalname
08-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I've thought about trying this sometime when I get AA fairly early in a tournament: Pushing it and then quickly saying something like this in chat:
"OMG WTF happened, I clicked the fold button!!!"

Would this move be considered uncool or unethical? Would you say there's nothing wrong with doing this and it's your own fault if you're dumb enough to fall for it? I wonder if it would even work.

Paul2432
08-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I think there are a lot better ways to play AA. Your move is not unethical, IMO, just stupid.

Paul

mlagoo
08-07-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your move is not unethical, IMO, just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

11t
08-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Nah I think this is perfectly legal.

In live play if I am unknown and I am HU or short handed sometimes if I look down from the SB or LP and I wake up to AA I'll try to check out of position like I am not very interested in playing the hand and think I am in the BB. Then when I am told of my error I will just complete or limp. This works especially well versus really LAG opponents.

It is pretty funny when it works but it completely alters your table image and people are going to get very suspicious of you.

Unoriginalname
08-07-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there are a lot better ways to play AA. Your move is not unethical, IMO, just stupid.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably why I've never actually tried it. I don't want to just blow a potentially very +EV opportunity and only pick up t25 or t45.

rafct
08-07-2005, 08:35 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Respondendo a:</font><hr />
I've thought about trying this sometime when I get AA fairly early in a tournament: Pushing it and then quickly saying something like this in chat:
"OMG WTF happened, I clicked the fold button!!!"

Would this move be considered uncool or unethical? Would you say there's nothing wrong with doing this and it's your own fault if you're dumb enough to fall for it? I wonder if it would even work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen a similar one in Party 11 sng: Very early stage of the tournament, guy says "I have my favorite hand, king and queen suited. I have to go all in." Other guy with AQ calls and beats his KK..

newfant
08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I did this once after I had pushed two times in a row preflop. On my third push I had AA and typed in "gotta go." Someone called me with 99 or 88 or something.

He might have called anyway, because people love to call when they think you're bluffing.

XXXNoahXXX
08-07-2005, 09:27 PM
I usually do this with a "f.uck wrong table!!"

08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Saying anything will just increase suspicion.

Sponger15SB
08-07-2005, 09:33 PM
You're better off raising to 600 and then flipping out in the chat saying you only meant to raise to 60

ace_in_the_hole
08-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I actually did something like this with KK in a 22. I got a guy to call me with KJo but, although he may of called regardless. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thank god for the 22's

lacky
08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
no, it's not cheating, yes, i would consider you a low class prick for doing it.

Steve

axeshigh
08-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Using the chat this way is illegal because this trick gives you an unfair advantage against your opponents.

HonestIago15
08-08-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Using the chat this way is illegal because this trick gives you an unfair advantage against your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous, if they are dumb enough to believe what you say at a POKER TABLE then they deserve what they get. Saying this gives you an unfair advantage is similar to saying that bluffing gives you an unfair advantage, since in both situations you're representing a hand you don't actually have.

Xenod
08-08-2005, 01:38 AM
It's not about them being dumb or not. It's certainly unethical to set up a "Get Rich Quick Scheme", and all that is, is taking advantage of dumb people. This is taking advantage of gullible(not necessarily dumb) people.

You can bet or check to deceive the strength of your hand, which is completely fine within the context of the game, however, deliberately and openly lying to your opponent is certainly unethical.

axeshigh
08-08-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous, if they are dumb enough to believe what you say at a POKER TABLE then they deserve what they get. Saying this gives you an unfair advantage is similar to saying that bluffing gives you an unfair advantage, since in both situations you're representing a hand you don't actually have.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored]. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony)

yabastid
08-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Last night short handed I had been murdering this donk for his blinds. He was the BB when I was the SB. After a couple of orbits, as soon as he got his two cards in the BB, up came "ahhh, finally a hand I can play". I had 25o and pushed. He folded. I showed.

I never believe a damn thing said at a poker table.

yabastid

DasLeben
08-08-2005, 06:48 AM
I can't believe this thread has lasted this long. Basically, it's simple. If you do this, you're a tool.

End of discussion. Now everyone go play some damn poker.