PDA

View Full Version : Time for a stop and go?

durron597
08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I thought this opponent was a little on the tight side.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t5135)
MP (t2395)
Button (t1715)
SB (t1030)
Hero (t3225)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t2000) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1975 (All-In)</font>,

mlagoo
08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I think the play may just be a fold here. You've got the second biggest stack with very large blinds. Why not just wait for some pots where you are the first in, and can take down the (huge) blinds uncontested?

DasLeben
08-07-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the play may just be a fold here. You've got the second biggest stack with very large blinds. Why not just wait for some pots where you are the first in, and can take down the (huge) blinds uncontested?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sevens are way too big to fold at these blind levels, IMO. Hero only has 5BB himself, and really needs to keep his head above water. I could see pushing here, but I do like the stop and go a lot.

mlagoo
08-07-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sevens are way too big to fold at these blind levels, IMO. Hero only has 5BB himself, and really needs to keep his head above water. I could see pushing here, but I do like the stop and go a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be. To be honest, I feel so trained to push/fold that I get freaked out at the prospect at being second in a pot without a premium hand. Also, the blind levels in this example are so wild that it's difficult to picture how the next few hands are going to play out.

I think maybe I should have put some more thought into my post. I still think it's possible that a fold is +$EV, with the blinds so high and some of the stacks so short.

wuwei
08-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Yuck, I think coming over the top preflop is superior to the stop n go.

11t
08-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Good situation for a stop and go.

However, if he is a little on the tight side I would just push preflop. You have enough chips he will fold. I would prefer to do this versus somebody who I KNEW would call my push preflop and this could not be the case.

citanul
08-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Had opponent been minraising as his normal raise at this point? Also, had opponent just been raising every hand here because well, you pussies wanted to slowly blind off to him?

The more the answer to these two questions is "yes," when combined with your read of the opp as "tight," the more I like to push this preflop.

citanul

durron597
08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Had opponent been minraising as his normal raise at this point? Also, had opponent just been raising every hand here because well, you pussies wanted to slowly blind off to him?

The more the answer to these two questions is "yes," when combined with your read of the opp as "tight," the more I like to push this preflop.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to both questions is no.

durron597
08-07-2005, 10:57 PM
He had KJ and calls and I lose. I wonder if a PF push, call and play poker on flop, or just fold is better.

lastchance
08-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Right, playing poker with 5x BB after calling off 2x BB. This surely is a smart idea... /sarcasm.

durron597
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right, playing poker with 5x BB after calling off 2x BB. This surely is a smart idea... /sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I know. So fold or push pf?

bluewilde
08-07-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea I know. So fold or push pf?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the chance he has a broadway hand makes folding bad. I used to hate calling all-in/going all-in when I expected a call on the bubble with 99- when I could put villain on a hand like AK. In fact, I still do, but I've recently been instructed that this is "very bad." While I'm still digesting why, I see a pot with 2100 chips in it where it's 600 to you. 2.5:1 with a hand that's probably a 55% favorite? I think this makes folding out of the question. Not to mention, folding forefits 1/5 of your chips when you have 77. You're left to survive only 3 orbits. I'm still on the fence about a stop and go. There aren't that many safe flops for you, so I might be inclined to push PF.