PDA

View Full Version : For the Golf Fans Out There

12-03-2001, 04:06 PM
It looks like Ty Tryon the 17 year old is going to get his card. There are still some players out on the course behind him, but he is in a tie for 24th in the Q-School as I write this. I don't think his exemption will be too good, as he is down the list, but I bet he might get some sponsors exemptions and will be able to play a full schedule. (I think Tour Members can still get sponsor's exemptions if their exemption category isn't high enough to get them in a popular tournament.) This really is amazing. He is a junior in high school and went through all three stages of the Q-School. This is a tough thing to do and he beat a lot of accomplished players along the way. A lot of good players got left behind at the 1st Stage, let alone the final stage. If he can keep his card this year, it will be a major achievement. Golf is a game where men don't peak until their late twenties or early thirties and this kid will be out there before he's 18. Even good 17 year old players often look loose and awkward in their swings, at least compared to 22 year old college seniors. I haven't been able to see much footage of Tryon, but he's not the usual 17 year old.

He was also sick this week, had a lot of media attention, and put up a 66 on the final day of Q-School at the tougher of the two courses used. That's a very promising sign of his ability to play under pressure. With the other young guys who won their cards on sponsors exemptions or from the Buy.Com Tour, next year should see some talented new blood on the Tour. Tiger is still very young and will continue to get better I think, but there might be some more players he will have to beat soon. I think Charles Howell will win at least one tournament next year, and some of the rookies will win one maybe.

12-03-2001, 04:45 PM
Is there a website one can visit to see what leading amateurs over the past 5 years have done?

12-03-2001, 04:56 PM
I don't know. Try the USGA website. I don't visit that one very often, but have looked at it a couple of times. Golf Digest usually ranks the amateurs once a year. I've never checked them out on the web. College golf is not covered much and a lot of the top amateurs are doing all their playing in college tournaments and a few big amateur tournaments in the summer. Maybe the NCAA has a site-I don't know.

12-04-2001, 09:17 AM
http://www.golfweb.com/players/qschool/

12-04-2001, 10:19 AM
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/