PDA

View Full Version : Sinatra's My Way or Cash's Hurt

[censored]
08-07-2005, 01:06 PM
which song is better

Nottom
08-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Cash's version of Hurt is a good song, but nobody would think anything of it if it weren't for the video. "My Way" is a classic.

wacki
08-07-2005, 01:28 PM
I wanted to vote, but couldn't. They are both very good songs.

wacki
08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cash's version of Hurt is a good song, but nobody would think anything of it if it weren't for the video. "My Way" is a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen the video. I listen to that song almost every time I play poker.

[censored]
08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's an insightful observation. I also picked "My Way"

Nottom
08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen the video. I listen to that song almost every time I play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should ... its amazing.

Cash Video (http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/e/cash11403.html)

jakethebake
08-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Hmmmm...

This is interesting because in my opinion these might be the two best singers that can't sing. I'm partial to johnny Cash for sentimental reasons though.

astroglide
08-07-2005, 02:01 PM
i'm a huge johnny cash fan. i'm pretty much disgusted with the OMG HURT NIN COVER SO DEEP LOLZ fans, but even when i'm being objective "my way" blows it out of the water. cash has better covers, not to mention original songs. just buy "american recordings". i'd much rather listen to his cover of nick cave's "mercy seat", for example, over hurt.

Claunchy
08-07-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

This is interesting because in my opinion these might be the two best singers that can't sing.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Bob Dylan? This definitely needs a crappy poll. Nominations for a round of 64 anyone?

jakethebake
08-07-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

This is interesting because in my opinion these might be the two best singers that can't sing.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Bob Dylan? This definitely needs a crappy poll. Nominations for a round of 64 anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Bob Dylan is one of the worst singers that can't sing.

PokerBob
08-07-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me too

[censored]
08-07-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm a huge johnny cash fan. i'm pretty much disgusted with the OMG HURT NIN COVER SO DEEP LOLZ fans, but even when i'm being objective "my way" blows it out of the water. cash has better covers, not to mention original songs. just buy "american recordings". i'd much rather listen to his cover of nick cave's "mercy seat", for example, over hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I wasn't trying to imply that this was Cash's best. I chose them because for me they are very similar in meaning but also very different if that at all makes sense.

nothumb
08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

NT

RacersEdge
08-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Sinatra at least in his early days in the 40s and 50s had a very pure singing voice.

jakethebake
08-07-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sinatra at least in his early days in the 40s and 50s had a very pure singing voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "pure". If you mean it sounded like it was unhampered by actually knowing how to sing, then I'll agree. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't get me wrong. I like some of Sinatra's stuff. And I really like Johnny Cash. But I'll stand my by original statement.

Phoenix1010
08-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Two incredibly good songs. My Way is probably my favorite song right now though, so it gets the nod.

RacersEdge
08-07-2005, 02:41 PM
I meant he held his notes with a very pure tone. He didn't just "speak" the lyrics.

turnipmonster
08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
ridiculous. sinatra had perfect pitch, and completely original phrasing. in fact miles davis is on record as saying early sinatra had a profound influence on his playing. the songs sinatra chose to sing all became standards and he literally defined the american songbook.

his early stuff with tommy dorsey is right up there with anything he ever recorded.

jakethebake
08-07-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ridiculous. sinatra had perfect pitch, and completely original phrasing. in fact miles davis is on record as saying early sinatra had a profound influence on his playing. the songs sinatra chose to sing all became standards and he literally defined the american songbook.

his early stuff with tommy dorsey is right up there with anything he ever recorded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having perfect pitch does NOT necessarily mean someone can sing. Perfect pitch has to do with hearing. My stepmom has perfect pitch and can't sing as lick. Although she can play multiple instruments very well. The rest of that miles davis blah blah blah "literally defined the american songbook" blah blah blah also does not mean he can really sing.

As per someone's suggestion above, Bob Dylan certainly influenced more than a few musicians. It doesn't mean he can sing. Unlike Bob Dylan, Sinatra is very good to listen to. The songs are great, but I'm still standing by my original statement.

wacki
08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Odd the posters I know the best are so sure of My Way over Cash's Hurt. I haven't listened to My Way in over a year and I don't feel the urge to. Not the case with Hurt. I'll play both at the next poker game and see how it goes.

B Dids
08-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Sinatra never did much for me. Cash's "Hurt" however, is a really powerful song. Mostly 'cause of the dying thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Paul Anka wrote "My Way" right? (I checked, I'm right).

B Dids
08-07-2005, 03:08 PM
The thing is that to me, Cash takes a song that's kinda trite when NIN did it, and because Cash is just 1000x better at conveying emotion, it got good.

wacki
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sinatra never did much for me. Cash's "Hurt" however, is a really powerful song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this (partially). Sinatra was awesome when I was driving from Indiana to Mass. It fit the scenery very well. However, when I just listen to Sinatra by itself nothing happens. I listen to Cash's Hurt by itself (in room, nothing else going on) and I get a strong emotional charge out of it.

HopeydaFish
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

This is interesting because in my opinion these might be the two best singers that can't sing. I'm partial to johnny Cash for sentimental reasons though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny that you say that. Whenever I've been out and there's been karaoke, the only songs I'll sing are Johnny Cash songs, precisely because I'm a horrible singer otherwise.

jakethebake
08-07-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny that you say that. Whenever I've been out and there's been karaoke, the only songs I'll sing are Johnny Cash songs, precisely because I'm a horrible singer otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other option is to hold your nose and do Willie Nelson.

youtalkfunny
08-08-2005, 01:29 AM
OK, I'm a HUUUUUUUGE Sinatra fan, so help me out here.

Please explain to me the differences between "Frank Sinatra" and "someone who knows how to sing".

Please be specific.

You've lumped him in with Cash and Dylan, two guys who speak more than they sing. Are you suggesting Sinatra does that?

If you are, then you must be familiar with no more than "NYNY" and "My Way", two songs he recorded later in life. I don't see how you can listen to Sinatra sing "The Lady is a Tramp", or "I Get a Kick Out of You", or "The Way You Look Tonight", and suggest that he doesn't know how to sing.

whiskeytown
08-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I can relate to Johnny Cash so much better - that was an incredible song/video -

watching him pour wine onto the table, and his hand's shaking so bad he can barely do it - broke my heart -

RB

DavidC
08-08-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash.

Were you thinking of someone else?

--Dave.

Oh man, if you were talking about Sinatra, you disappoint me: that man can SING!

rusellmj
08-08-2005, 03:35 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Respondendo a:</font><hr />
I'm not sure what you mean by "pure". If you mean it sounded like it was unhampered by actually knowing how to sing, then I'll agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be a very lonely club.

SackUp
08-08-2005, 05:10 AM
i would rather kill myself than listen to Cash butcher Hurt!

BOTW
08-08-2005, 07:42 AM
My Way by Frank Sinatra. Easy.

Hurt is good, but was better done by NIN. Ring of Fire, I Walk the Line, Boy Named Sue, etc. by Cash is better than any Sinatra. IMO.