PDA

View Full Version : river check-call

J.R.
08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
I was looking over some hands and came across this. Is this your default play sans a read, and if not what kinda read would lead you to play the same?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Tropex
08-07-2005, 05:55 AM
I think river check call is okay - he might've been calling you all the way with a T, maybe a weak K. Calling is mandatory though since river check induces many players to bet their small pairs/pocket pairs.

TheMetetron
08-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Looks good on every street.

J.R.
08-07-2005, 06:06 AM
I dunno, I don't think pocket pairs bet that much but they do call. do we think the default player has Ax and is bluffing but has just called up until here? Most aces check the river, no? And QJ, if it were to be held by the type to bluff the river, probably gets heard from before, right?

I havent played too much lately, maybe I'm rusty but is this clearly check-call

DrGutshot
08-07-2005, 09:19 AM
hey J.R. -

This is perfect for a default plan. A bet accomplishes very little here - but with a check call you can pick up bluffs and get information cheaply. Even if you were tempted to bet here for value, a missed QJ/Q9/J9 etc. could bluff raise you here and then you'd really be smashing your head into your keyboard.

You are right that a small PP and ace high check behind here the majority of the time - but it's hard to put them on this kind of hand without a raise preflop.

-DrG

me454555
08-07-2005, 09:34 AM
My default play is to checkfold this river. Is this a leak?

cartman
08-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I like the check against an unknown. Checking also benefits from the times he has a T and just checks it down because he is afraid to value bet. Against the passive-never folded Ace high in his life-types I would bet.

Cartman

Surfbullet
08-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey J.R.,

I bet this river. Since we'd expect a K to raise somewhere along the way, we've got a tossup between him calling with a T and calling with a 3 or spiked pair or lower PP.

I do not believe something lke 55 will bet this river when checked to. This is much closer to a fold IMO once we check, because most of the hands we beat will check behind, though they would have paid a river bet.

Surf

StellarWind
08-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I would probably checkcall this river ... and I need to stop doing that.

Betting catches calls from aces (including A6/A4), threes, and lower pockets. Against that checkcalling will sometimes save a bet versus a ten. Possibly also you induce QJ but as Button I would be pleased to be able to show down that hand for free.

Bet the river.

Checkfolding is possible against some players. You'll know them when you see them.