PDA

View Full Version : Small pairs EP, MP

PokerAmateur4
08-07-2005, 04:16 AM
10+1, how do I go about playing pairs, especially low ones and medium ones, in different positions, especially EP and MP, especially early rounds, thanks!

Colonel Kataffy
08-07-2005, 04:18 AM
What are the blinds/stacksizes/#ofpeople left?

lastchance
08-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Generally (especially in L1/with limpers behind you) limp/fold, maybe call a minbet.

Then bet and 3-bet with a set, fold otherwise.

PokerAmateur4
08-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Please assume everyone is about even, no strange inflection points.

Colonel Kataffy
08-07-2005, 04:48 AM
Well, for the most part I think your talking about limp situations early on in stts. Basically, you limp and hope to flop a set. You treat the small pair as a drawing hand, if you miss your draw, then your done.

As to whether you can play them from early or middle positon. Well, that sort of depends on how passive your game is. If your table is passive, meaning people call but rarely is there a raise, then you can usually limp utg. Try to catch your set. Your worry is that your going to be raised after your limp. Also Your ability to limp these goes down dramatically as the blinds increase. Basically at 15-sure, at 30-maybe, at 50-probably not. As the blinds go up, cost becomes greater and your potential reward diminishes.

Later in the tournaments, you are looking to win, not by making sets (though when it happens its nice), but by either forcing others to fold with raises and holding up when getting called. It is important to realize when doing this, there is a big difference between a pair of 8s and a pair of 3s.

jgunnip
08-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I tend to play small pairs a high percetnage of time from EP than I am from MP. Depending on the number of players still to act behind me when I'm in MP there needs to be at least one and sometimes two limpers already in the pot. From EP I'll open limp a lot hoping to induce limps from the other players.

Scuba Chuck
08-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Level 1, I play all pairs for set value.

Level 2, I play almost all pairs for set value. My decision not to play a pair is based more on stacksize and position.

Level 3, I generally fold most pairs.

Level 4+, I might push pairs based on position on stack size.

PokerAmateur4
08-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Scuba I'd be curious what pairs you are talking about exactly especially at level 3-4. Like do you fold 4s on the button when one has limped?

lastchance
08-12-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Scuba I'd be curious what pairs you are talking about exactly especially at level 3-4. Like do you fold 4s on the button when one has limped?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on stack-size. Obviously, when you have twice as many BB, a limp with 4's is much better in L3 than L4. If you're desperate L4, 4s can be a shove.