PDA

View Full Version : 99 on the button 10+1

PokerAmateur4
08-07-2005, 03:43 AM
utg raises min 30 to 60. 8 people left, level 2, 10+1 party.

I'm on the button with 99 and have been playing conservativley.

What should I do?

lastchance
08-07-2005, 03:52 AM
How much stack you got left? How much stack does UTG have left?

Default play would be to call though, I'd think.

jeffraider
08-07-2005, 03:53 AM
I think folding is best and calling isn't bad considering you have position postflop. I hope from your comment that you have been playing conservatively that you don't expect to have any sort of table image in a PP $11 in Level 2.

PokerAmateur4
08-07-2005, 04:01 AM
I would think an image woud occasionaly make some difference but wouldn't rely on a consistent acknowledgement form the opponents.

Sorry chip size average.

Please explain why the action you suggest is correct.

lastchance
08-07-2005, 04:22 AM
I'm thinking about position + stack size for implied odds of flopping set.

The bigger your stack, the more you can take off opponent when you flop a set and he flops a pair.

99 isn't a bad hand, you can get overpair a lot of the time, plus any dry j73 flop could be profitable.

No reason to reraise a UTG minraiser who could have AA/KK.

I think it's a tossup between calling or folding, and meh, if you've got t700, I guess I fold, but with t850, I call.

ilya
08-07-2005, 04:29 AM
As I'm sure lastchance realizes, what matters here is not so much the size of your stack as the size of the smaller of yours and Villain's stacks. It doesn't do you much good to call with 900 chips if Villain only has 400 behind.
If the smaller stack is at least 850-900, I suppose I'd call.

lastchance
08-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Ilya made a good point I failed to follow up on.

Yupz, definitely agree with what he said.

jeffraider
08-07-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think an image woud occasionaly make some difference but wouldn't rely on a consistent acknowledgement form the opponents.

Sorry chip size average.

Please explain why the action you suggest is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you and villain both have say 700 chips, your stack isn't deep enough to play purely for set value, and you'll have trouble playing the hand against a preflop raiser if you don't get a low card flop. Calling isn't too bad because when you do get a decent flop you can raise his continuation bet and win a little extra money and check behind or fold without losing any more chips if you hate the flop.

EDIT: I agree with lastchance completely, with 850 I almost always call here but almost always fold with 700.