PDA

View Full Version : nyc: smith st trip report

turnipmonster
08-07-2005, 02:56 AM
smith st is way fun! lots of cool bars and places to eat! more when not drunk!

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
smith st is way fun! lots of cool bars and places to eat! more when not drunk!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell is Smith Street? Are you talking about downtown Brooklyn?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jnalpak
08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Where the hell is Smith Street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow Play Ray
08-07-2005, 12:31 PM
this is more of a brief executive summary than a trip report. i'm very disappointed.

megantw
08-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Smith Street is, as far as I know, in Downtown Brooklyn, and it blows. Even when I lived three blocks away the trip wasn't worth it.

sfer
08-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm a big Brooklyn booster and Smith St is no exception. I like the restaurants--which are still somewhat inexpensive--and the wine store, Smith and Vine, is owned by friends of friends.

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smith Street is, as far as I know, in Downtown Brooklyn, and it blows. Even when I lived three blocks away the trip wasn't worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived 5 blocks away 12 years ago. It was a wasteland back then, but I really did love that neighborhood. The second best place I've ever lived (current place rules... it can't be beat).

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big Brooklyn booster and Smith St is no exception. I like the restaurants--which are still somewhat inexpensive--and the wine store, Smith and Vine, is owned by friends of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have friends (of friends) who travel to Brooklyn just to go to Smith & Vine. Its supposed to be the best in NYC now... thats amazing. Is it worth the trip just to buy cases of vino?

sfer
08-07-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have friends (of friends) who travel to Brooklyn just to go to Smith & Vine. Its supposed to be the best in NYC now... thats amazing. Is it worth the trip just to buy cases of vino?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's worth a trip, but as a cheap, neighborhood wine store with good values and a good selection, it's great. The kind of place where someone with a good palate and an extra $15-25 in his pocket can consistently find something yummy.

megantw
08-07-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Food is good, but I think turnipmonster was talking about bars.

Brooklyn represent, of course.

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's worth a trip, but as a cheap, neighborhood wine store with good values and a good selection, it's great. The kind of place where someone with a good palate and an extra $15-25 in his pocket can consistently find something yummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a little place like that on 6th street between 2nd & 3rd ave, its tiny and only has no more than 30 or so selections at a time... but the knowledge you gain from spending time there is amazing. One of my best kept secrets, I now share with you /images/graemlins/smile.gif