PDA

View Full Version : ATM ate my cards

Nick B.
08-07-2005, 01:58 AM
What am I supposed to do? I drove to the atm to get some money (obviously). I put my card in the slot and the screen changes to "temporarily closed, be back shortly." So I sit there and hit every button on the machine to try to get my card back and nothing happens. I try to touch the screen and it keeps that same message up. So I drive around the building and check back and the message is still there.

I go to the pizza store to pick up my food and decide to check the ATM again, so I drive back. This time I pull up and the screen is doing all the ads and the green light where the card goes is flashing. I hit the screen and buttons and no closed message comes up. I figure that I will put my credit card in there since if my other card is still in there it won't go in. So I take it and the machine accepts it and the same stupid message comes up about it being closed. What am I suppose to do now? Cancel the cards?

private joker
08-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Dude, you've gotta win the Darwin award for this month. You put one card in an ATM and it EATS it. So what do you do? Put another one in...

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[censored]
08-07-2005, 02:02 AM
what type of atm are we talking about here?

ya you should call the card issuers asap.

also dude putting the 2nd card in wtf?

New001
08-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Was there a phone number on the ATM? Like a service number or something?

IronDragon1
08-07-2005, 02:04 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
What am I supposed to do? I drove to the atm to get some money (obviously). I put my card in the slot and the screen changes to "temporarily closed, be back shortly." So I sit there and hit every button on the machine to try to get my card back and nothing happens. I try to touch the screen and it keeps that same message up. So I drive around the building and check back and the message is still there.

I go to the pizza store to pick up my food and decide to check the ATM again, so I drive back. This time I pull up and the screen is doing all the ads and the green light where the card goes is flashing. I hit the screen and buttons and no closed message comes up. I figure that I will put my credit card in there since if my other card is still in there it won't go in. So I take it and the machine accepts it and the same stupid message comes up about it being closed. What am I suppose to do now? Cancel the cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the bank that issued your card. Any bank will have some sort of support # for this kind of stuff

Nick B.
08-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Well if the first one was stuck, the second one shouldn't go in. Also, why not have the [censored] temporarily closed message on the screen before I put my card in.

Nick B.
08-07-2005, 02:06 AM
It was my own bank's atm.

[censored]
08-07-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then you only need to simply wait till monday and they should have them waiting for you.

handsome
08-07-2005, 02:10 AM
There was a news special on Fox 5 a while back about ATM machine scams. Perp sticks device in card slot, victim inserts card, card gets stuck, victim leaves, perp comes back and retrieves card, goes on shopping spree. There might be something online about this, so try googling it. I'd call my credit card companies and let them know what happened just to be safe.

gumpzilla
08-07-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if the first one was stuck, the second one shouldn't go in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having had an ATM consume my card once, I can tell you what happens. I had slightly bent the card, and usually on machines where this would be a problem it just wouldn't go in. However, at one point I found a machine where it went in, but couldn't come out. I looked around for some kind of knife-like object to stick in there and bend down the corner of the card - I could see it - but after about 30 seconds it sucked the card back in. In a nutshell, the machine can usually pull it in (after all, it got the card in in the first place) to a location it has for just such a purpose rather than jamming up the entire works. It also needs such a location for when it is confiscating cards where the PIN is incorrectly used.

So yeah, sticking in the second card was kinda silly. Just contact your issuing bank about the ATM, and call the credit card company as well. If it is the bank that you belong to, they can probably actually just give you the card, otherwise they have to reissue.

-Skeme-
08-07-2005, 02:13 AM
The Lebanese Loop.

rollingdirty
08-07-2005, 02:13 AM

Nick B.
08-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the responses. Here is some biel. http://nickbouyea.com/JessicaBiel2.jpg

[censored]
08-07-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then you only need to simply wait till monday and they should have them waiting for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok they dont have them waiting people. You cant get them back. I had this happen at my own back also and for some reason they dont keep them, they are sent and shredded. You just have to get another.

[/ QUOTE ]

it happened to me at my bank and I got mine back the next day.

TimM
08-07-2005, 02:17 AM
I accidentally left my card in a machine once. Took a while to realize, and when I called, they told me that after a minute or so the machine would suck the card back in and destroy it. So I just called my bank and got a new one.

handsome
08-07-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Lebanese Loop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Well, I just googled it and got this:

[ QUOTE ]

For all of you who use ATM cards.

Just wanted to warn you about something that happened to me the other day. I was getting some cash out at the cash point outside at HSBC George Street. I put my card in and a message came up on the screen saying the machine was temporarily out of order... According to the police this method of stealing bankcards is called the Lebanese loop'...

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds kind of like OP's situation, just without the socially engineering the PIN number from the victim.

Matty
08-07-2005, 02:20 AM
I wonder if the scammers thought to wait around for his second card. If so they're probably laughing harder than I am right now.

gumpzilla
08-07-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I accidentally left my card in a machine once. Took a while to realize, and when I called, they told me that after a minute or so the machine would suck the card back in and destroy it. So I just called my bank and got a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense, though I'm a bit puzzled why my bank asked me if it happened in one of their ATMs. Perhaps it varies from place to place. Then again, my bank also couldn't change the PIN number on my new card on the spot, but had to reissue (!) another card when I wanted to change the PIN. Is this standard? My bank before had a little device they could swipe it through to do this.

Nick B.
08-07-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if the scammers thought to wait around for his second card. If so they're probably laughing harder than I am right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably laughed harder when I drove around the building. I must have stared at the machine for 5 minutes.

Nick B.
08-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Well, I just called them and they said if the machine was down for maintanence the card was dropped into a box and I can go to the branch and pick it up on monday. I only mentioned I put one card in.

Jersey Nick
08-07-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just called them and they said if the machine was down for maintanence the card was dropped into a box and I can go to the branch and pick it up on monday. I only mentioned I put one card in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since they said you can have your(their) card back they are probably servicing their own machine. You should be able to get both cards back. You may want to call your credit card company and explain the situation so they can fax a note to your bank branch to release your credit card to you.

kipin
08-07-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. Here is some biel. http://nickbouyea.com/JessicaBiel2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you got the airbrushed version of the pic, here is the real deal.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7010/jessica9ps.jpg