PDA

View Full Version : A river raise/fold to 3-bet - QTo

Lurker4
08-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I tend to make this play when I'm the PFR, in position, am HU, bet the flop and am called, check behind the turn, and pair up on the river (usually top pair, sometimes 2nd pair). Of course its board texture and opponent dependent, but some opponents tend to bet out on the river and call a raise after the turn is checked through w/anything showdownable. I wasn't the PFR in this hand, but had the initiative on the flop/turn. Villian here is unknown.

Hand is from Full Tilt 5/10 6-max, converter doesnt work for FT so I'll just manually convert.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
MP folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB bets, Hero raises...

Thoughts on the hand? Also, general thoughts on the river raise/fold to 3-bet play?

mscags
08-07-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure why you bet the flop here, but I don't really see it as bad here since you have a gut shot. I really like the river raise because you can beat every pair besides the King. You are right, villians are very likely to bet about anything here. If you get three bet though I think you have to curse and throw it away, I don't see him making this type of play wo a King unless he is known to do so.

Stork
08-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Looks good to me.

Surfbullet
08-07-2005, 02:33 AM
I like your turn/river line. However, I wouldn't bet that flop, unless I knew I'd get lots of folds (basically trying to buy the button). The pot is small and we don't have much of a hand on a drawy board.

Surf

Lurker4
08-07-2005, 04:05 AM
I've been looking for more spots to bet the flop in unraised pots and try to pick up the pot, w/less than the usual pair or better, 4-flush, or OESD. On this flop, I have my 4 gutshot outs and backdoor flushdraw, and if only called, possibly have 6 pair outs. If called by SB I can check behind on the turn if I don't improve. How would you play the flop if you don't bet? Check/call? Check/fold?

wheelz
08-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Betting is far superior to check/calling here. I check/fold. Yes you have a gutshot and backdoor flush, but there's only 3 SB in the pot. A Q or T might be outs, but there's also a decent chance they make a second best hand. I think this flop is just too draw heavy for you to take it down often enough.

Raise/fold is definitely your line on the river though

Lurker4
08-07-2005, 04:28 AM
What if the flop is 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif? Does your flop line change to a bet? What about 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif?

wheelz
08-07-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm thinking check the first one (again lots of hands that can decide to peel on that flop), but I might bet the second one

Jeff W
08-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Betting the flop

=

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2796/souporman6an.gif

TomBrooks
08-07-2005, 05:09 AM
I would SemI-BLufF bet the TurN. It looks like your ahead anyway unless SB has a lone Ace, and would he have the cojones to call you all the way to showdown with nothing else? I think not. Since you have the initiative on the flop and the turn looks like a safe card (a card that SB doesn't have), I would throw caution to the wind and bet again with reckless abandon.

Transference
08-07-2005, 06:46 AM
oh man thats brilliant commentary /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GetThere1Time
08-07-2005, 07:01 AM
That's outstanding. I'm putting it on a T-shirt.

Surfbullet
08-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Genius, jeff.

Surf