PDA

View Full Version : We need to talk about the sup bro and brown trout lines.

08-06-2005, 10:35 PM
My Party screen name makes it obvious to anyone who frequents this forum that I'm a 2+2er. Recently I've had two different people do things like this:

2+2er: Sup Bro?

me: sup

2+2er: are you familiar with brown trout?

me: yea

2+2er: ya know what I mean?

I mean no offense to the people who have said this, but it's just a stupid thing to say. First of all, any kind of brown trout line is going make everyone else at the table think we're talking in some kind of code and colluding. The sup bro line seems normal, and doesn't freak out anyone who is unaware of what it means.

Second, the whole purpose of either line is to identify other 2+2ers, not to give them some retarded pop quiz to see if they know what brown trout means. If you already said sup bro, and got the proper response (or vice versa), there's no need to say any other line to identify them.

And please try not to act like we've never met before. That means don't capitalize sup bro and put a question mark after it. That's not how you would say hi to someone you knew, and it makes it look weird to the other players. "Sup Bro?" looks like you're talking in code, while "sup bro" just looks like you're saying hi to a friend.

Anytime you say anything into a chat box, you need to think about how it looks to everyone else.

handsome
08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Most. Worthless. Thread. Ever.

Sup Bro?

SackUp
08-06-2005, 10:47 PM
dude, most people don't pay attention to chat and those that do will not think you are colluding by saying sup bro or does the brown trout sleep in the closet.

Most people with think they know what you are talking about and laugh or something like that.

you clearly are not a bottom feeder!

08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
The main point is that saying both lines is annoying and gay.

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Youve been posting here for 3 days and think people will recognize that your handle is that of a 2+2er?

08-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Huh? If my sn here was the same as it is on Party, why would I say it's obvious that people would recognize it?

Matty
08-06-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Youve been posting here for 3 days and think people will recognize that your handle is that of a 2+2er?

[/ QUOTE ]I think what he means is his screename makes reference to 2+2 in some way.

To the OP- a non 2+2er would probably think that guy was talking about your location- no secret code.

radek2166
08-06-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His name on party is probably Thebrowntroutsllepsintheclosetaye

Uglyowl
08-06-2005, 11:02 PM
You think that is bad, how bout when people say Sup 16% VP$IP. Here I am trying not to have people get a read on me and they blow it. I HATE IT!

Ianco15
08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
You've been around here for an hour, you don't get any say in this matter.

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I think what he means is his screename makes reference to 2+2 in some way.

My bad.

So the OP has been posting here for 3 days as feels compelled to choose a screen name which identifies himself as a 2+2er... then complains when someone tries to make small talk?

*yawn*

08-06-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm a carpel/tunnel. My original account was banned.

TheMetetron
08-06-2005, 11:29 PM
And now it gets interesting...

I think you being banned, also gets you no say in the matter.

Edit: I can't spell/use grammar

08-06-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gets you no say in the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf does that mean? I'm simply expressing an opinion, if you disagree, fine.

jman220
08-06-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

radek2166
08-06-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And now it gets interesting...

I think you be banned, also gets you no say in the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH SIR!

08-06-2005, 11:41 PM
who cares? Did you have 15 tackles for losses? Thought so/

jman220
08-06-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who cares? Did you have 15 tackles for losses? Thought so/

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious.

Spartan1983
08-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Duh, change your Party name if it bothers you.

kdog
08-07-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been registered under this nick for three days, claim you're a banned carpal tunnel and post an avatar of a naked man lifting weights. There's something annoying and gay here alright.

2ndGoat
08-07-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been registered under this nick for three days, claim you're a banned carpal tunnel and post an avatar of a naked man lifting weights. There's something annoying and gay here alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

Rudbaeck
08-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Now there is milk on my monitor.

siccjay
08-07-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. POTD. Ever.

He gets no points for not knowing who Ron Burgandy is.

Brainwalter
08-07-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My Party screen name makes it obvious to anyone who frequents this forum that I'm a 2+2er. Recently I've had two different people do things like this:

2+2er: Sup Bro?

me: sup

2+2er: are you familiar with brown trout?

2+2er: ya know what I mean?

I mean no offense to the people who have said this, but it's just a stupid thing to say. First of all, any kind of brown trout line is going make everyone else at the table think we're talking in some kind of code and colluding. The sup bro line seems normal, and doesn't freak out anyone who is unaware of what it means.

Second, the whole purpose of either line is to identify other 2+2ers, not to give them some retarded pop quiz to see if they know what brown trout means. If you already said sup bro, and got the proper response (or vice versa), there's no need to say any other line to identify them.

And please try not to act like we've never met before. That means don't capitalize sup bro and put a question mark after it. That's not how you would say hi to someone you knew, and it makes it look weird to the other players. "Sup Bro?" looks like you're talking in code, while "sup bro" just looks like you're saying hi to a friend.

Anytime you say anything into a chat box, you need to think about how it looks to everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's your problem. Anyone might say sup when you say sup bro the them. You haven't acknowledged you're a 2er, so they try again (I don't know how unambiguous your handle is about it). Why not use a more explicit return greeting like "15 tackles for losses baby!!!1"

2ndGoat
08-07-2005, 07:10 AM
<<He gets no points for not knowing who Ron Burgandy is. >>

I thought referring to Ron Burgundy as just some naked guy was what really made the post...

2nd

ucfryan
08-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Change your Party name then genius.

RydenStoompala
08-07-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Allrightythen. I will be sure and explain that to the 65 million mouth breathers who type endless lines of drivle on all of the sites, 24/7.

What's up bro? <--- Very nasty stuff. Could tip over our universe and trigger a poker meltdown.

Hey..aren't you that freakin moron from 2+2? <--- what I sometimes get.

Kiss my a&& you *&^%$#! <-- normal line directed towards me when I snap the head off some fish playing into me with TPTK in a NL game and his allowance just went out the door.

Wyers
08-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Lies.

You had less than 100 posts, VanDressen.

EStreet20
08-07-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and post an avatar of a naked man lifting weights. There's something annoying and gay here alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude, nothing gay/wrong about a picture of the indispensible Ron Burgundy "sculpting his guns" at the office.

jedi
08-07-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lies.

You had less than 100 posts, VanDressen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the avatar, I thought it was Big Steve.

Python49
08-07-2005, 01:42 PM
someone saying "sup" back doesnt show they are 2p2'er.. i usually respond with "all county 95"

08-07-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Duh, change your Party name if it bothers you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my post came off a lot angrier than I intended. I'm not pissed off about it, just a little annoyed. I made my sn because I like talking to other 2+2ers and also because I want to know who the good players at my table are.

08-07-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's your problem. Anyone might say sup when you say sup bro the them. You haven't acknowledged you're a 2er, so they try again (I don't know how unambiguous your handle is about it). Why not use a more explicit return greeting like "15 tackles for losses baby!!!1"

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in the OP, it's obvious that I'm a 2+2er. The brown trout line is comepletely unnecessary after I say sup.

trying2learn
08-07-2005, 04:38 PM
you like talking to 2+2ers but you're annoyed when they mention 2+2?

i get it now?

mcozzy1
08-07-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, any kind of brown trout line is going make everyone else at the table think we're talking in some kind of code and colluding

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to agree with the newbie on this one. I never liked the brown trout line. It's just so unnatural.

Ben Therre
08-07-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, any kind of brown trout line is going make everyone else at the table think we're talking in some kind of code and colluding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to agree with the newbie on this one. I never liked the brown trout line. It's just so unnatural.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too. Lets change it to rainbow trout.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif The wink is for Ron

poker-penguin
08-07-2005, 07:17 PM
To further confuse things, my screen name is "Sup Bro" at one site. No, I have no idea why I did that either. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jimbo
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
The official greeting as listed in the FAQ:

Brown Trout

Another phrase that started as a joke.
If you wish to ask if someone at your table is from 2+2, it is often asked "Does the brown trout sleep in the closet?" or similiar.
This can lead to some amusing situations.

This settles the discussion.

mcozzy1
08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This can lead to some amusing situations.

This settles the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the nerd factor is too deeply ingrained. It'd be like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool. There's way too many people who get off on the word "bonii" and find brown trout discussions amusing.

At least we have stories from Doyle, TJ, and others. 20 years from now, we can at least remember that there was a time when cool poker players existed.

It wasn't always brown trout and bonii. The nerdy tradition stays.

lighterjobs
08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you like talking to 2+2ers but you're annoyed when they mention 2+2?

i get it now?

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish a 2+2er would notice me /images/graemlins/frown.gif