PDA

View Full Version : Help with limit Omaha hi strategy

08-06-2005, 08:33 PM
It seems that whenever someone raises on the flop, they usually have the 1st or 2nd nut. I've been calling the raises sometimes with the 5th nut or a decent draw. I'm new to omaha. Anyway, what if I always assumed that I was up against the flopped nuts when someone raised on the flop? Would this be a bad strategy or would I be way too tight and fold too many half-way decent hands ? That would mean that I would fold :

77XX on a K K 7 flop. I would assume he had 4 of a kind and fold because I'd only have one out here. I'm just finding that I'm wasting a lot of money by not believing that my opponent could possibly have the nuts and he usually does. I saw two guys in my game yesterday where over 40 hands, they NEVER folded. 100 % seen flop % . I just need some help on proper omaha strategy. I have preflop down since I use the hutchison system but on the flop, I often don't know how many outs I have because I'm not sure if my opponent has the nuts or the 2nd nuts. Thanks.

sy_or_bust
08-08-2005, 11:15 AM
In Omahi Hi you want a huge made hand or a draw to it, only because the nuts is not always reasonably likely (i.e. 4-of-a-kind). The 5th nut should be discarded a lot unless it can develop into an even better hand. If you have a made hand that's vulnerable and lacks redraws, just toss it.

On a KK7 flop, KK is not a reasonable hand to fear. What you should fear is a king, which is why you should sometimes fold. You have an underboat, which is a huge pay off hand in Omaha. A hand like AKT9 has 9 outs to beat you, twice, and there may be two of these guys out. If K7 is around, you are drawing dead.

I will say (for the last time) that I'd recommend not playing Omahi Hi. Pot-Limit Omaha Hi is a much better, less frustrating, and more profitable version which allows you to make much clearer folds and give your loose opponents the opportunity to call big bets with terrible odds (which they will). Limit/Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo is simply a better game than Limit Omaha Hi also.

dibbs
08-08-2005, 12:18 PM
in the KK7 example you shouldnt really be fearing KK under the bed as much as Kx as you have many cards to dodge. I mainly play PLO (not very well FWIW), but in my previous experience with limit you sure as hell arent getting a K to fold here, and often by the end of the hand you'll hate your underfull. Drawing to the nuts is so incredibly important in this game, as if you want a pot, a huge percent of the time you MUST have the best hand at the river, because they aint foldin.

Know your odds and draw to the nuts and youll make money in this game, it aint easy though, quite the endurance test.

Also, I think you need a fitting avatar for such an sn.