PDA

View Full Version : Harringtons book and online SNGS

ColinB
08-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Harringtons books seem great for nl multis but hes treatment for SNGs seems wrong; at least for the $10 I play on ladbrooks, pokerroom etc.

He doesnt have a seperate section for SNGs (in either book) but writes as though they should be treated the same as multis.

In my experience it seems best to play dead tight for the 1st 3 rounds of SNGs, only playing AA,KK,QQ, AK for a raise
(to try to get 1 player all in with QQ+ but to thin the field for AK) and limp with other pps only to try to hit a set. Harringtons hands show much loose play in hes 1st book, but Ive tried that and it seems to give not so good results.

Whatya think ?

tigerite
08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I've never read Harrigton's book, and I seem to be doing okay, I don't think his concepts are really that relevant at all in general to SNGs. It just clouds what should be fairly simple (once you get used to them) decisions at the meat-end of an SNG i.e. the bubble etc, and getting there in the first place with a healthy stack.

Maulik
08-06-2005, 08:32 PM
the value in reading this book or any other book is the fact you'll be reading Dan Harrington's though process for certain hands. there is no harm in that

tigerite
08-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Ok, agreed on that, but people take the M and V and what not too far, and think it's the general solution to all things poker, when it isn't. I saw some nutter pushing all in with 17bb's, for instance, on the bubble with 50/100 for a few hands. What's the point in that?

Mind, he was crap heads up, and I beat him easily. People are so afraid to see a flop on the bubble, it's nuts. Oh, and very exploitable if you have even half a clue what you're doing other than push/fold.