PDA

View Full Version : U of Illinois question for Clarkmeister

marbles
03-17-2003, 12:44 PM
This could become one of the most interesting subtexts of the tournament, so I want to make sure I have my facts straight... I'll give you what I know, and what I need confirmation on:

What I know:
-Illinois was put on probation many years ago for flagrant recruiting violations by Lou Henson.
-The nail-in-the-coffin was a taped conversation between a recruit and an Iowa assistant where the recruit claimed that Illinois was paying him $80k in a paper bag.

What I need confirmation on:
-The recruit in the aforementioned conversation was Deon Thomas.
-The Iowa assistant was Bruce Pearl, now UWM head coach.

I know this story seems like ancient history, but it will almost certainly resurface if Pearl's Panthers meet the Illini in the second round (a very likely possibility). IIRC, there was a time when there was a ton of bad blood between the Illini and Iowa, and if my facts are right, Pearl was pretty much the center of the whole thing.

So, Clark (or any other Illini alums)... How's your memory? Does that story sound right to you? If it's correct, will the media be sharp enough to pick up on it?

Clarkmeister
03-17-2003, 01:22 PM
That does sound about right to me. I don't remember the details such as the $80k, but the overall story seems spot on. As far as the media, I've already heard it mentioned a few times, so it'll definitely get discussed should UWM beat ND.

marbles
03-17-2003, 01:42 PM
"I don't remember the details such as the $80k, but the overall story seems spot on."

--As usual, I have no proof to support my claim, but I'm pretty certain about the $80k bit. I just can't remember whether it was $80k to Deon Thomas or Marcus Liberty, or if they each got that deal.

I'm surprised to hear it's come up in the media, as I haven't heard a peep here in Milwaukee. Of course, we've never been a town known for our journalistic prowess.

IrishHand
03-17-2003, 09:18 PM
It's a moot point - ND will win by 20 and I'll laugh at all you mongrels for suggesting otherwise.