PDA

View Full Version : How to play this situation I always find myself in

spatz
08-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I normally play online 200 max buy in with 1-2 blind structure. Here is a common situation I always find myself and I don't feel I am playing it correctly. Would like to hear thoughts on how you guys play it. Assume it is a new table and all players have roughly a full buy in.

I'm in midlate position look down and find a 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 2 limpers in front of me, I limp, 2 limpers behind me and blinds complete/check. $14 going into the flop.

Flop will come 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Checked to me. I bet 20 at it trying to take it down right there. Everyone folds except the small blind. $55 pot going into the turn.

Turn is a J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Small blind checks to me.

What is your play?

With a flop like this I'm always thinking there is a flush draw against me. I don't want to give a free card, but it seems i don't want to commit another 55 (after the flop bet about a 1/3 of my stack) to top pair poor kicker. At this point it seems I have put myself to a tough decision.

I know in this example the small blind could have anything, but what if it was one of the limpers in front? What if it was one of the limpers behind? Do you guys like the flop bet? Perhaps I'm making too tough of a decision for myself on the turn if I'm called there?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Spatz

deadmoney98
08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Pot control is not really my strong suit either, but that is exactly what you need. Just bet 10 on the flop in a pot of 14. Then you can safely hammer the turn.

Honestly, sometimes in this spot i just check, or bet maybe half the pot. You want to charge draws, but they can easily include overcards, so not only are you statistically behind but you end up pounding a turn card that could have just totally counterfieted (sp?) your hand. That is a little weak tight, but if you playh an aggressive post flop style I think it can help to slow down sometimes even when you probably have the best hand.

In this case if you check, and then bet 10-12 on the turn a flush draw probably folds and you lose less to a big hand. The value of suited connectors is not really in one pair hands anyway.

flopking
08-06-2005, 06:27 PM
You have to expect SB is on a low flush/str8 draw. No way does the SB check-call any overpair, two-pair or trips on that board. A solid-defensive bet of 30 dollars is in order... a raise with an apparent brick coming on the turn probably forces you to reeevaluate , maybe has was on a Jx heart draw, etc.

one other thing to keep in mind is that you might be outkicked here with A9/K9 etc... in which case it will be difficult to push him off with TPDK since you didn't pfr.

jacknine
08-06-2005, 08:05 PM
I love situations where I can limp in with hand like T9s and get a chance to make a profitable draw on the flop.
If not, like with this flop, I would make a much smaller bet of $10 and if that gets called, I donŽt think too much of my hand anymore. IŽll fold unless the cards are free after that.

deadmoney98
08-06-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to expect SB is on a low flush/str8 draw. No way does the SB check-call any overpair, two-pair or trips on that board. A solid-defensive bet of 30 dollars is in order... etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a joke? You want him to bet twice the pot on the flop? Is that right? What makes that a solid, defensive bet and not a bet that only gets played with by vastly superior holdings?

stu-unger
08-07-2005, 12:42 AM
pot on the flop=14 so i think betting 8.5-12 is achieving the goal u want. check the turn through and depending on the river(if a draw comes or not)pick off missed draw bluffs/fold/check through. u only have middle pair on the turn, what is so confusing? do u want to build a pot? i think we should be looking for a cheap showdown.

spatz
08-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Do you think a check on the turn opens up the opp for a bluff on the riv no matter what card hits? I understand that I don't have much of a hand here, but I don't want to start giving people info by having them call the flop to see what I do on the turn either.

My thought that always seems to get me in trouble here is, "there are a ton of draws out there, a made hand would try and protect against that. I must have the best hand. I'll pot it again."

How big of a bet do you call on the riv here?

Thanks!

amoeba
08-07-2005, 02:26 AM
a made hand only tries to protect against draw if he feels you are on the draw. since you overbet the pot on the flop, its unlikely villain put you on draw.

I like turn checkbehind.

Malachii
08-07-2005, 03:18 AM
Por que? Seems to me if he's on a draw, giving a free card would be very bad here, no? How about a small bet, like 40% of the pot. It's enough to give him improper odds on a flush draw. Check behind on the river.

Komodo
08-07-2005, 04:06 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
I love situations where I can limp in with hand like T9s and get a chance to make a profitable draw on the flop.
If not, like with this flop, I would make a much smaller bet of $10 and if that gets called, I donŽt think too much of my hand anymore. IŽll fold unless the cards are free after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like to make a smaller bet than usual unless sb is very tigth. It will look weak and an observant opponent will pick up on that and push you of the hand fairly quick.
For me its either check or a normal bet.