PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in Hold Em

Piper Tim
08-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Yesterday I ran out of things to read, so I went to the bookstore to find Inside the Poker Mind. This is the next book on my list of reading and I didn’t feel like waiting for it to arrive from Amazon. Having just reread SSHE and finished Mark Helprin’s new book, Freddy and Fredericka, I figured I might as well find something new.

What I wanted was not available, so I picked up a copy of Getting Started in Hold ‘Em by Ed Miller. Now, I know that many folks have read this book, and perhaps this would be best in the Books/Publications forum, but I thought I would post my observations of it here for other beginners.

Anyway, I wish I had started with this book! It is written in a manner that is extremely informative and accessible. It is not overwhelming, yet not skimpy on information. At points, I wondered if Ed Miller was an educator in a former life. I ended up reading the entire book in one night. It was just that good.

Part One covers nuts and blots about playing hold ‘em. I pretty much skimmed this part. Although it was well written, since I knew the information, I skipped it. I did go back and look at some of the hand strength quizzes to see how quickly I could answer them. This type of speed exercise is good to engage in once in a while.

Part Two discusses limit hold ‘em and is the meat of the book. While still a beginner, I feel I am well beyond beginning concepts presented in this section. That being said, I used it as a review and made predictions as to what to do in each situation. If you have not read GSIH, you may want to consider this activity. I found it extremely helpful. Sometimes I found myself saying, oh, if this is the type of players at the table then I would but usually I would. Then I would read what Ed Miller recommends. Remarkably, I usually had the correct decision.

I wish I had read this when I first started playing. It takes the reader on a trip around the table, looking at hands from each position and the considerations that need to be made at each position. It seems like the recommended actions are perhaps less aggressive than those recommended in SSHE. However, as it is geared toward brand new players perhaps a bit of caution is in order. I will probably reread this section, just to keep myself sharp.

Part Three discusses No Limit Hold ‘Em. I have read and HOH1 and Mastering No Limit Hold ‘Em (MNLH) so I am not completely a dope when it come to no limit. MNLH was not very helpful for me and while it helped clear up a few concepts, I was not convinced as to the validity of some of its recommendations. This section of the book, while short, gave me a clear understanding of NLH. I am eager to apply some of the concepts presented in this chapter. Maybe I will give it a try at the NL$25 buy in a part when I clear the August bonus.

Part Four discusses tournament play. Again, I have played a few tournaments and have placed in the money 3 or 4 times. This section gave a very solid overview of tournaments. While I have read HOH1 and HOH2, this part made distinctions between SNG, MTT, and satellite play that the other books do not. It presented few earth shattering ideas, but gave specific strategies for overall play. Additionally, as with previous parts, suggested reading is supplied.

Part Five covers topics that didn’t really fit anywhere else. It is probably something I will reread occasionally, just to keep perspective.

Overall, if you are a beginner (as I am) and have not read the book, I highly recommend it. I used it as a review and to fill in potential gaps in my own knowledge, but it would certainly work well as a primer. I believe that the act of reading this book in the manner which I did will help improve me game. Like other 2+2 books, it is well written and direct. Unlike other 2+2 books, I think it is more accessible because of the style of writing.

AKQJ10
08-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Nice review. Couple of points I'd love to reinforce.

[ QUOTE ]
At points, I wondered if Ed Miller was an educator in a former life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder the same thing. I don't find any sort of teaching background in his bio at http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/bio.htm . But he certainly seems to be one of those rare "techies" with skills to not just understand complex concepts but also to communicate them to others. I try to be the same way, and I learn a lot from reading his writing.

[ QUOTE ]
Like other 2+2 books, it is well written and direct. Unlike other 2+2 books, I think it is more accessible because of the style of writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dubious about the first sentence I excerpted here, but I heartily agree with the second. They've always known how to play poker; now they have someone who can write for a general audience.

BTW, is it just me, or is the curling simile just f'ing brilliant?

Anyway, if it's ok with you, I'm going to link your review at PokerWiki: http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Getting_Started_in_Hold%27em . Feel free to go in and add to that review as well.

08-09-2005, 02:35 AM
I am reading SSHE now, and I made the mistake of applying some of the loose aggressive preflop recommendations to some of the tighter games of party poker. I lost a good chunk of my roll as I was not bankrolled high enough for 2/4.

I have yet to find these super loose games with 5-8 people to every flop. Know where I can find them?

How has your game been?

Webster
08-09-2005, 07:43 AM
Go to the Crypto Micro tables 50 to 60%% all the time 9-10BB pots in the games £1 and $1 and under.

Crypto = InterPoker, PokerPles, total Bet, UKBetting, William Hill.

[url=http://www.grinderswarehouse.com]Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG[/url

Piper Tim
08-09-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to find these super loose games with 5-8 people to every flop. Know where I can find them?

How has your game been?

[/ QUOTE ]

My game is getting better and I am still about $50 ahead, not counting bonuses, at the .5/1 level. I have good days and not so good days.

Maybe this is wrong, but I don't take the number of people seeing the flop as a rigid thing. I also play much tighter from early position, more so than the chart suggests.

I apply the "loose" starting requirements almost all the time, unless I the table is really tight. At Party I often find a table with 5-6 people limping in to see the flop. Maybe two of them will drop out to a raise, so 3-4 see the flop. Yesterday I played at a tight table, with maybe 2 people seeing the flop. I stayed (and had a breakthrough in my game, which I will post about later) but usually I will leave these tables. If only 2 attempt to see the flop, I tighten up.

AKQJ10
08-09-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep in the Connecticut woods:

http://www.foxwoods.com/Resort/GettingHere

No joke, B&M poker does tend to be incredibly looser at a level like $2/4 or $3/6, just because there are no microlimits. Pacific should do the trick too if you're an online-only player.

Rosencrantz1
08-09-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come join us at the .25/.50 tables at Pokerroom. 6 to a flop is pretty standard.

[ QUOTE ]

No joke, B&M poker does tend to be incredibly looser at a level like $2/4 or $3/6, just because there are no microlimits. Pacific should do the trick too if you're an online-only player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently played (for the first and then second time) in a B&M cardroom. The first time was 2/4 at the Taj, the second was 1/2 at The Poker Room in Florida. Loose, loose, loose, and SUPER passive. The Poker Room, in particular, was easily 7-8 to a flop every hand.