PDA

View Full Version : Do I have showdown value here?

iceman5
08-06-2005, 04:43 PM
$5/$10 NL.

I ($1000) limp UTG with 88. Its folded to the blinds and the pot is unraised.

Pot is $30. The flop comes A74 with the 7 and 4 being the same suit. SB checks, BB ($1400) bets $10. I highly suspect a flush draw and raise to $50. He calls.

Pot is $130. The turn is a J ( no flush). He checks and I bet $100. He calls.

Pot is $330. The river is a K (no flush). He checks. Do I check behind because I have showdown value? If he has Jxs or Kxs, he has me beat, but might fold those hands to a $250 river bet. On the other hand, my read of the flush draw could be off, or he might call me with a pair of kings. I dont have any read as the is the 1st time Ive seen him.

Garland
08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I have showdown value here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course. Any pair has "showdown" value. I think the proper question to ask is: Do you think I need to bluff here?

You've never seen this opponent before, and your assumption (read of a flush draw) could be totally off. Just check and hope he has a flush draw without a K or J or perhaps 56. In addition, I don't like the rational that he could have hit his K or J with his flush draw. He has a random hand in the blind, and I would treat it as such.

Just check and see the showdown.

Garland

n1bd
08-06-2005, 06:36 PM
He could even have the suited ace with a crappy kicker if he's passive/cautious. I think checking the river is great. Garland's point about random hand is a good one. If your opponent is by some fluke super observant, then your action also depends on whether you typically value bet this river with one pair of aces into an apparent busted draw; I often don't.

Depending on the player and your image, I think you see a disbelieving ace that puts *you* on the flush draw a lot here, probably as often as the flush draw (I guess this means I should be value betting these rivers with AJ?). He plays Ax this way a lot less than 100%, but there are a lot more Ax hands than random suited hands. Which makes me ask, if the flush hit and he checked, were you planning on betting?

BTW, 87 (well, maybe 97 here) is a little better than 88 if you are going to take this line.

iceman5
08-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I really thought I shouldve bet the river, but I didnt. He had J6s for the flush draw. Im pretty sure he wouldve folded if I had bet the river. I actually thought he might have the King high flush draw and wasnt sure if he would fold it or not. If I knew he had the J, I wouldve bet for sure.

flawless_victory
08-06-2005, 08:12 PM
hi iceman. i think calling on the flop is way better than raising.
on the river, i like betting the 250. i hate checking it down... yeah you might win, but it is gonna piss you off when he shows you J6s... most players will also lay down Ax after you fire the last barrel.

iceman5
08-06-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi iceman. i think calling on the flop is way better than raising.
on the river, i like betting the 250. i hate checking it down... yeah you might win, but it is gonna piss you off when he shows you J6s... most players will also lay down Ax after you fire the last barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why just call the flop?

flawless_victory
08-06-2005, 08:23 PM
so you can just see what he does on the turn and try to take it away there. you have pos so no need to raise IMO. i knowe you might win a smaller pot, but playing big pots w/ crappy underpairs can get really ugly for you if you are against an aggro players whos not going to allow you to run him over. if you raise, he is allowed to reraise, you know.