PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Tv moments

08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
This was asked on Anandtech and I thought it was a good topic for OOT so I borrowed it.

What are some of the most dramatic moments you have witnessed on TV. For me they are:

John F. Kennedy's assasination
72 Munich Olympics when the terrorists killed the Israeli athletes in the helicopter...unbelievable at the time.
Challenger space shuttle explosion.
Miracle on Ice..mostly because of Al Michaels' commentary.

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 02:56 PM
as sad as this may be... i think many would put the Simpson verdict on that list

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Fall of the Berlin Wall and the protests in Tiananmen Square

djoyce003
08-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Hindenberg
The original moments of Desert Storm

[censored]
08-06-2005, 02:59 PM
what is andertech?

how about the entire clinton impeachment trial?

the Bush/Gore 2000 election and supreme court decision

Gibson's homerun

trying2learn
08-06-2005, 02:59 PM
bryan adams live from the allstar game.

tdarko
08-06-2005, 03:01 PM
roseanne sings national anthem.

TylerD
08-06-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was asked on Anandtech and I thought it was a good topic for OOT so I borrowed it.

What are some of the most dramatic moments you have witnessed on TV. For me they are:

72 Munich Olympics when the terrorists killed the Israeli athletes in the helicopter...unbelievable at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has to be 9/11.

08-06-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bryan adams live from the allstar game.

[/ QUOTE ]
cool

08-06-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is andertech?

This is Anandtech (http://forums.anandtech.com/)

Drunk Bob
08-06-2005, 03:27 PM
JFK. To young to remember.
72. Must not have been watching TV.
Helo. Is this Vietnam?
Challenger: Loved the NASA guy ...pause"Obviously a major malfunction".

Miracle on ice: A bunch of guys chasing a little black speck that you can see once in a while.Hockey right?

9/11: Takes the cake.

08-06-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
roseanne sings national anthem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! You like Rosanne and Tool..maybe your musical tastes are more sophisticated then I originally thought. Good for you.

Bulldog
08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as sad as this may be... i think many would put the Simpson verdict on that list

[/ QUOTE ]

Simpson verdict, no. Simpson chase, yes.

touchfaith
08-06-2005, 08:25 PM
not ranking, just adding...

The Oakland-Hills FireStorm.

DavidC
08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Not sure what the girl's name was, but a one or two summer olypmics ago, an American girl won the 15m platform dive with a broken foot...

(Laura wilkinson?)

The part htat was really special about that was that when she got up for her last dive, she stood at the top for a few minutes and just looked around and smiled. It was really awesome. I swear I've never seen a more beautiful smile (on t.v. anyways).

--Dave.

DavidC
08-06-2005, 08:39 PM
and as far as drama in t.v. fiction: J'kar's speech when in Babylon 5 when he was thrown out of council was awesome.

hoopsie44
08-06-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to put the moon landing of 1969 right there. Can't include Miracle On Ice since it was shown on tape 5 hours after the game was actually played. Challenger and 1972 Olympics are great choices.

08-06-2005, 10:00 PM
72. Must not have been watching TV.
Helo. Is this Vietnam?

I don't know if your kidding or not but here you go (http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_munich.php)

all of this was on network tv

man
08-06-2005, 10:03 PM
alan webb running a 3:53 mile at the prefontaine classic. (ok it was dramatic for me.)

08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simpson verdict, no. Simpson chase, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ,no kidding

08-06-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what the girl's name was, but a one or two summer olypmics ago, an American girl won the 15m platform dive with a broken foot...

(Laura wilkinson?)

The part htat was really special about that was that when she got up for her last dive, she stood at the top for a few minutes and just looked around and smiled. It was really awesome. I swear I've never seen a more beautiful smile (on t.v. anyways).

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed that one

08-06-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to put the moon landing of 1969 right there. Can't include Miracle On Ice since it was shown on tape 5 hours after the game was actually played. Challenger and 1972 Olympics are great choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely forgot about the moon landing. Funny thing is I was trying to come up with something positive and all I could think of was Miracle on Ice. I didn't want my choices to be all gloom amd doom.

Roy Munson
08-06-2005, 10:35 PM
The death of George Costanza's fiance, Susan on Seinfeld.

eviljeff
08-07-2005, 03:02 AM
McGwire breaking the HR record
1982 Cal vs. Stanford ("The Play")
Christian Laettner's last second shot (1992 Duke vs. Kentucky)

-Skeme-
08-07-2005, 03:32 AM
-WTC attacks
-AMW finding Mr. Burn's shooter
-Geraldo first showing Zapruder film
-Moon landing

NutzyClutz
08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Witnessed on TV: Miracle on Ice, John McSherry's death at Red's home opener, Trapped girl in well, Trapped Pennsylvania coal miners, San Fran World Series Earthquake, OJ Ford Bronco, OJ verdict, Payne Stewart's death, 2000 Presidential Florida Gore/Bush, Titans/Rams Superbowl Finish, Duke's Laettner 2.2 seconds left buzzer
beater. Kirk Gibson's homerun, various 300 bowling games/ 7-10 split conversions , Ruffian euthanized due to injury vs Foolish Pleasure, "The Day After", "Scared Straight", Magic Johnson announces AIDS, NY Mets announcer Bob Murphy's last game, Terri Schiavo's last days, Opening Night of Gulf War, Kavorkian on 60 minutes, Tylenol Scare, Princess Diana wedding and funeral. Santa at end of Macy Parade. Leon Lett thanksgiving game. Joe Pisarchek blows Giants game on last kneel-down play vs. Eagles. Dolphins-Chargers overtime game. Twin-tower tightrope walker. Evil Knivel snake river. Ken Jennings Jeopardy, that Texas Ranch standoff,

Did not see until after the fact: Moon landings, Space program disasters/ mishaps, Berlin Wall, Doug Flutie's Hail Mary. perfect games, Roots mini-series. Who killed JR (Dallas), Heidi Bowl.

In sympathy, : Bombings, hijacking, hostages.

mblax10
08-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Who Shot Mr Burns? Part 2.

FatalError
08-07-2005, 03:00 PM
The raid on the branch dividians in waco

Phil hellmuth having his hair taken off at the WSOP 2002

Duke
08-07-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gibson's homerun

[/ QUOTE ]