PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian love scam

newfant
08-06-2005, 01:48 PM
For all of you lovestruck d-bags out there, read this to make sure your new online honey isn't actually a man from Nigeria out to fleece you:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/8704213/

(How many of you have been taken in by this already?)

Glenn
08-06-2005, 01:54 PM
"The bank told me I was responsible for that money. I had to pay them $2,700, which was everything i had ,"

least surprising piece of information, ever

mblax10
08-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Hello everybody, I'm an American poker player who is currently in Nigeria. I'm working as a Government contractor and they only pay me with money orders that I'm having a hard time cashing. If anybody could help me out cashing these please send me a pm. I've been playing 7 Card Stud for cans of tuna just so I can eat.

08-06-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For all of you lovestruck d-bags out there, read this to make sure your new online honey isn't actually a man from Nigeria out to fleece you:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a Nigerian scam but a bank scam. Your bank oks the money orders then after you wire your money to Nigeria or wherever your bank retroactively tells you they made a mistake and the checks are no good. This cannot happen without your banks complicity. I know, my bank ,Bank of America tried it on me. It didn't work and I still bank there.

08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a Nigerian scam but a bank scam. Your bank oks the money orders then after you wire your money to Nigeria or wherever your bank retroactively tells you they made a mistake and the checks are no good. This cannot happen without your banks complicity. I know, my bank ,Bank of America tried it on me. It didn't work and I still bank there. [/quote

Or, somebody in Nigeria or there representative is reading the classified adds in the Las Vegas Review Journal,and, specifically Go-Kart adds in order to have contacted me.
I had a Go-Kart for sale add. Come on.

djj6835
08-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I had someone try a similar scam on me through autotrader. I knew what was going on from the beginning so I just spent about a week screwing with this guy.

I even got him to send me his counterfeit check. He did a horrible job, the thing had at least three typos. I'm seriously surprised that banks are that bad at spotting fake checks. If the one I got was any indication, I would think this scam would never work.

I never did go through with the last part of my plan. I had read stores of some people that would go as far as to tell the scammer that they sent the money through western union, but due to some technicality, they would have to go to a specific loaction hundreds of miles away. Not only does the idiot waste his time making a fake chack and mailing it, he then drives a few hundred miles to find out that he is the one beeing scammed. Pretty funny stuff.

Bluffoon
08-06-2005, 06:25 PM
I while back I read a news story about these nigerian scammers. They had a link to a group that has a web site that is a primer for screwing with these guys in order to waste their time and divert their resources into unproductive ventures. It was very creative and looked like a lot of fun.

It sounds like a worthwile hobby if youve got nothing better to do.

08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
"I had someone try a similar scam on me through autotrader. I knew what was going on from the beginning so I just spent about a week screwing with this guy.

I even got him to send me his counterfeit check. He did a horrible job, the thing had at least three typos. I'm seriously surprised that banks are that bad at spotting fake checks. If the one I got was any indication, I would think this scam would never work. "

That's funny because my bank BofA cashed a 6,000.00 bank draft for me. I had to wait 7 days to verify the validity of the check which I did and they contacted me 7 days or so later and said the check had cleared. So in the process of getting a money order for the balance i owed less the price of the Go-Kart one of the banks employees mentioned this so-called scam and explained that even though the check had been cleared they could still come back later and say it was invalid. I cancelled the money order.

I was showed the money added to my account dude. How could I be held responsible for a check that they themselves had guaranteed(when they retroactively declare it non-valid) yet this is exactly what was communicated to me. If that isn't a bank fraud scam I don't know what is.

ChipWrecked
08-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Scammers at work in Festac Town (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050807/ap_on_hi_te/internet_scammers)