PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in hockey skates

judgesmails
08-06-2005, 01:10 PM
When I was a kid I would break in new skates by soaking them in hot water just before my first use. It worked great because I would use them litterally everyday thereafter for about 5 months.

I tried the same method with my most recent pair of skates, but it all but ruined them as newer skates use different materials and I don't skate as often. So every time I use them my feet blister and the skates are very stiff.

So I plan to buy some new skates. Any recommendations on what my purchase should be? Do I need to do anything to help break them in and avoid as much blistering as possible?

PorscheNGuns
08-06-2005, 01:17 PM
2 or 3 rides should have them broken in just fine, but if you are seriously that much of a pussy, then rub baseball glove oil over them and put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 300F

-Matt

rusty JEDI
08-06-2005, 03:30 PM
When you go and buy the skates ask to have them molded to your feet.

Assuming you arent buying from sears or somewhere like that, but if you are take them new to a specialty shop and pay to have this done. Basically they heat the skates up in an oven or something like that and bring them back out. You then put them on and due them up tight to where it fits good. Then you sit there for about 15 minutes while the heated up glues cool down. Then when its all done you have a skate molded to your foot, and should have no problems.