PDA

View Full Version : What Was Correct Way to Play Key Non-Nut Flush Hand?

08-06-2005, 01:04 PM
I have three questions about a key hand in a $150 charity no-limit tournament (1500 chips; no rebuys or add-ons). There were 70 players at 10 tables, with the top 5 finishing in the money.

The questions are (1) What should I have done after the flop? (2) What should I have done after the turn? (3) What should I have done when Player 3 re-raised me all-in after the turn?

The hand was early, with blinds $25-$50 (increasing very soon to $50-$100). I have $1950 in chips, and the other six players have stacks ranging from $1000 to $2000. I’m in the big blind and have Kh-8h.

Player 1 calls, Player 2 raises to $150, Player 3 calls, the cut-off and button fold, and the small blind calls. There is $525 in the pot, so I call the extra $100. Player 1 then calls.

The flop is Qh-10c-4h. The pot is $725, I have $1850 in chips. The small blind checks. QUESTION 1 - WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE HERE? I bet $150. Players 1, 2 and 3 call, then the small blind folds.

The turn is the 10h. The pot is $1325, I have $1700 in chips. I considered the four hands that could beat my non-nut flush – Q/Q, 10/10, Q/10, Ah-Xh. My instinct at the time was that no one had anything that would have made four of a kind or a full house on the turn. My only concern was the Ah-Xh hand, but I believed that it was much more likely that they had hands like Ah-Qs/d, Ah-10s/d, Q-Jh, Jh-10s/d, or Jh-9h (I’m protected against a straight flush since I have the 8h and the Kh). QUESTION 2 - WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE HERE? I bet $500.

Players 1 and 2 folded. Player 3 (a tight player) thought for a bit and then went all-in. The pot is now $3025, and it will cost me $700 more to call. QUESTION 3 - WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE HERE? Should I have folded, leaving me $1000 in chips, or called, leaving me with $4025 in chips if I won or $300 in chips if I lost?

Thanks for any advice,
Mark
animalsamok@indy.rr.com

Exitonly
08-06-2005, 02:48 PM
you gotta call, you're giving him way too much credit by folding. As for the flop bet, i dont think i would have made it, i probably would have check-called, but i dont think it's terible. And it worked out well since you hit the flush on the next card, that way you when you bet out again they're less likely to think you ahve a flush.

My guess is he had A10, maybe with a heart.

-Ray