PDA

View Full Version : Late position-JJ

nathanielt
03-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Playing 3/6 and I'm dealt JJ on the button. It's bet to me, I raise and am reraised by the SB. The original bettor caps it. I've seen him bet and cap with all sorts of crap. I call. I'm not too worried about the original bettor, but a little about the SB. I've been playing only strong hands and he knows it, so now I'm thinking I'm pretty much dead unless the board flops a jack. I put him on AA or KK.

Flop comes 8 high. Check, Check, SB bets. Fold to me and I call. Next card is a Jack. I'm saved!! I check raise the small blind and he reraises. I'm sure he has AA or KK now, probably AA. The game is unlimited betting heads up. After a couple reraises he stops and calls. It was 6 bets a piece.

River is a Queen. I bet and he calls. He shows AA and I take it down.

Should I have been the one who stopped raising the turn? I think I pretty much gave away my hand on the turn by raising so aggressively. Should I have just called after 3 or 4 bets and then bet the river?

JTG51
03-17-2003, 04:35 AM
Should I have been the one who stopped raising the turn?

Well, the short answer is, no. The longer, more complicated answer is, definitely not.

Why would you stop raising? You got 7 big bets between the turn and river. If you had stopped at 3 or 4 bets on the turn, you would have had to get 4 or 5 on the river to do better. There is almost no chance of that happening.

nathanielt
03-17-2003, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I was kinda thinking I could've got a couple more bets out of him, but you're probably right because I showed so much strength on the turn. Now that you mention it he obviously wasn't so confident w/ his aces after all that betting.

Ed Miller
03-17-2003, 07:43 AM
You can't checkraise the SB from late position. Your hand narrative is all kinds of confused.

If your opponent has raised you once already on the turn (indicating that he has a hand that he will likely go to showdown with), then you should continue to raise him indefinitely as long as 1) you have the current nuts, and 2) there is no way that your opponent could have you tied, but with a freeroll.