PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble

Kevin J
08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Blinds are $500 and $1000 with a $75 ante. I'm on the bubble with T-3500. The pay out structure is very flat.

A guy goes all in for 2500 (which could easily be a desperation play). Folded to me and I move all in for my 3500 with pocket jacks.

The player on my left immediately tells me I made a bad play. He said I should've just called to make it easier for the big blind to call. This way we have a better chance of knocking out the other guy and placing in the money. Even if the big blind called and beat us both, I'd have cashed because I started the hand with more chips than the other guy.

The way I looked at it was that I need to win the hand and the dead antes. But maybe the guy was right. What if the first guy had a bigger pair? Then I'd want the bb in and hope that he beat both of us. So did I make a bad play? Thanks.

Dave D
08-06-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are $500 and $1000 with a $75 ante. I'm on the bubble with T-3500. The pay out structure is very flat.

A guy goes all in for 2500 (which could easily be a desperation play). Folded to me and I move all in for my 3500 with pocket jacks.

The player on my left immediately tells me I made a bad play. He said I should've just called to make it easier for the big blind to call. This way we have a better chance of knocking out the other guy and placing in the money. Even if the big blind called and beat us both, I'd have cashed because I started the hand with more chips than the other guy.

The way I looked at it was that I need to win the hand and the dead antes. But maybe the guy was right. What if the first guy had a bigger pair? Then I'd want the bb in and hope that he beat both of us. So did I make a bad play? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this live?

No he's wrong. You're not worried about everyone placing, you're worried about your chances of making it further into the money. If you just call and BB calls it means your JJ has less chance of winning. I guess if you wanted to gamble and hope for a chance to tripple up as opposed to just double up you could let him in, but generally you want to win that hand heads up. I'd consider that play with KK or AA, not JJ. With 3 bbs you have to push, you're going to be all in no matter what happens (even if you called, you'd have to push any flop) and any reasonbly intelligent BB would know this and account for it in his decision (knowing he's probably gonna be pot obligated to call the flop). So no matter what you did, he probably made the same decision.

Kevin J
08-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your response Dave.

Yes it was live. The only scenario I could think of where letting the big blind in helps me, is if the original raiser had me beat with a bigger pair. Now I'd be hoping the big blind beats us both. Otherwise, I saw it as you did. JJ has better winning chances heads-up and I'm playing to win not just cash, which means I'm trying to win the 2500 plus the dead antes in this pot.

Thanks again. I don't have much tourney experience.