PDA

View Full Version : The TOOL Debate is OVER!!

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Ok, I have been listening to Lateralus almost exclusively since it came out like 30 years ago or whenever it was. I think Lateralus is almost incomprehensibly gigantic and epic, a true masterpiece.

That said, last night, I placed a compact disc into my electronic compact disc-playing device. That compact disc is called Aenima, and I have not slept, for fear that if I should visit Morpheus, it would all have been a dream, the ineffably massive attack that is this CD.

Listening to this CD for the first time in about a year, my jaw literally fell open several times. It is absolutely the definition of rock and roll.

I do not wish to appear as a shill for TOOL, so this will be my last TOOL-related post, I promise.

If you love rock and roll and are not intimately acquainted with Aenima, you are making a serious error.

My neighbors must love TOOL by now, by the way.

Either that, or they've moved away.

nothumb
08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I didn't know there was ever any real debate about this, but thanks for affirming the obvious truth.

NT

Dr. StrangeloveX
08-06-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know there was ever any real debate about this, but thanks for affirming the obvious truth.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, more than anything, I meant the debate that was raging inside my skeleton-head.

That, plus I believe there were one or two exchanges right here in OOT which implied (nay, INFERRED) a debate.

But yes, it is obvious to me now. The answer, that is. Obvious, I mean.

Alobar
08-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Aenima is the greatest album ever put out, by anyone. So yeah, I agree.

08-06-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I have been listening to Lateralus almost exclusively since it came out like 30 years ago or whenever it was. I think Lateralus is almost incomprehensibly gigantic and epic, a true masterpiece.

That said, last night, I placed a compact disc into my electronic compact disc-playing device. That compact disc is called Aenima, and I have not slept, for fear that if I should visit Morpheus, it would all have been a dream, the ineffably massive attack that is this CD.

Listening to this CD for the first time in about a year, my jaw literally fell open several times. It is absolutely the definition of rock and roll.

I do not wish to appear as a shill for TOOL, so this will be my last TOOL-related post, I promise.

If you love rock and roll and are not intimately acquainted with Aenima, you are making a serious error.

My neighbors must love TOOL by now, by the way.

Either that, or they've moved away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I downloaded Aenima(the song) and listened to it. It doesn't define Rock and Roll for me personally because when I think of rock&roll I think of songs for parties,keggers, dance music ..music to move to examples'George Thorogood"Move It onOver, The Madison Blues," Bryan Adams'Take Me Back",Bachman Turner Overdrive"Give me your Money Please"Sonny Landreth"All About You", I could go on and on. We who listen to and love music have all fallen in love with one or another band from time to time and think they are the embodiment of rocks soul but this is not possible because rock&roll is too broad a musical category(I don't know how to put this any other way) for any one band too do this.

I tried to make this short and sweet and still get my point across.

ManyBeers

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when I think of rock&roll I think of songs for parties,keggers, dance music ..music to move to examples'George Thorogood"Move It onOver, The Madison Blues," Bryan Adams'Take Me Back",Bachman Turner Overdrive"Give me your Money Please"Sonny Landreth"All About You", I could go on and on

[/ QUOTE ]

No, really...don't.

You and I live on different planets, sir.

Neither planet is technically "better," I suppose, but when you start talking about keggers and Bryan Adams in a post about TOOL, I assure you, we live on different planets.

Good luck.

tdarko
08-06-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I downloaded Aenima(the song) and listened to it. It doesn't define Rock and Roll for me personally because when I think of rock&roll I think of songs for parties,keggers, dance music ..music to move to examples'George Thorogood"Move It onOver, The Madison Blues," Bryan Adams'Take Me Back",Bachman Turner Overdrive"Give me your Money Please"Sonny Landreth"All About You", I could go on and on. We who listen to and love music have all fallen in love with one or another band from time to time and think they are the embodiment of rocks soul but this is not possible because rock&roll is too broad a musical category(I don't know how to put this any other way) for any one band too do this.

ManyBeers

[/ QUOTE ]
what the [censored]? you have had too many beer ManyBeers. bryan adams? BTO? wait...no haha nice post ha! i forgot we are allowing gimmick accounts again. nh sir.

08-06-2005, 02:37 PM
"Listening to this CD for the first time in about a year, my jaw literally fell open several times. It is absolutely the definition of rock and roll. "

I simpy disagreed with this quote. What's the problem. I didn't like it. Tough

08-06-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ManyBeers

[/ QUOTE ]
what the [censored]? you have had too many beer ManyBeers. bryan adams? BTO? wait...no haha nice post ha! i forgot we are allowing gimmick accounts again. nh sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tool didn't work for me. Sorry. Neither one of you has cornered the market on what constitutes quality music.

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Listening to this CD for the first time in about a year, my jaw literally fell open several times. It is absolutely the definition of rock and roll. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part of my response to your Bryan Adams keg party post where it said "neither is better?"

All I said was that we live on different planets. I went out of my way to let you know that this was not intended as an insult.

You ask me what the problem is. I was unaware that I had intimated that there WAS a problem at all, but, now that you bring it up...

Oh, never mind. Enjoy your Grand Funk Railroad collection and your Bryan Adams tribute band CD's. No problem at all.

"Keggers." Jesus.

pearljam
08-06-2005, 04:40 PM
wow, I downloaded this and listened to it and it is awsome, I listen to music constantly wile I play and this is a great addition to what I listen too, thanks for making this thread.

08-06-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part of my response to your Bryan Adams keg party post where it said "neither is better?"

All I said was that we live on different planets. I went out of my way to let you know that this was not intended as an insult.

You ask me what the problem is. I was unaware that I had intimated that there WAS a problem at all, but, now that you bring it up...

Oh, never mind. Enjoy your Grand Funk Railroad collection and your Bryan Adams tribute band CD's. No problem at all.

"Keggers." Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't have any Grand Funk Railroad collection or Bryan Adams collection.

Your commiting blasphemy and the mods should have you excommunicated for this offense. Kid

p.s. What's a "planet"

DCJ311
08-06-2005, 05:11 PM
I am not sure that Aenima or anything by Tool really could be classified as 'rock and roll', but they do have striking similarities and influences drawn from Pink Floyd, which is a band that teeters in the rock and roll genre, but is clearly in its own undefinable category, much like TOOL.

Bottom line, Aenima is clearly one of the best albums ever created. I bought Aenima in 1997 when I was about 14, and appreciate it a lot more now than I did then, even though at the time it was one of my favorites. The sound and technical mastery in that album is something special.

Another great, underappreciated album that came around right around that time is Sevendust's self-titled album. Definitely listen to that sometime if you can pick up a copy.

Daliman
08-06-2005, 05:20 PM
All Tool's CD's are incredible. Make sure to get Undertow and Opiate too.

08-06-2005, 05:31 PM

"Keggers." Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need for condescension, I didn't think your example of Tool's "Aenima" was the definition of rock&roll. Tool

trying2learn
08-06-2005, 05:34 PM
you just replied twice to the same message...we get it.

swolfe
08-06-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
08-06-2005, 06:17 PM
when Tool first came out, I didn't really like it. Not sure why, just didn't. But I have noticed during the past few years I have started to like them more and more. I actually think Maynard(is that his name) has an awesome rock voice, and possibly one of the best ever. SO basically your thread convinced me to get some of their material. Thanks.

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, I downloaded this and listened to it and it is awsome, I listen to music constantly wile I play and this is a great addition to what I listen too, thanks for making this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes my day. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am giving you the identical response I gave to Pearl Jam, who will also be endeavoring to discover the magnificence of TOOL:

This makes my day. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
08-06-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when Tool first came out, I didn't really like it. Not sure why, just didn't. But I have noticed during the past few years I have started to like them more and more. I actually think Maynard(is that his name) has an awesome rock voice, and possibly one of the best ever. SO basically your thread convinced me to get some of their material. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because you were once wide-eyed and idyllic, and have become embittered with age. Ain't it great! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

08-06-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you just replied twice to the same message...we get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be a smartass it's unbecoming. Tool

trying2learn
08-06-2005, 07:27 PM
i wasn't being a smartass - you really did do that - and we really did get it.

TimM
08-06-2005, 08:04 PM
A gift for you. (http://www.changingskin.com/tool/video/tool_1995_03_03_stinkfist.WMV)

(right click, save as... then play it from your computer).

I found it on some poker guy's myspace page.

DavidC
08-06-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

DavidC
08-06-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Lateralus is.

HtotheNootch
08-06-2005, 08:29 PM
I can take or leave Tool, but Aenima is easily the better album. Bill Hicks is on Aenima.

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that.

Being the geek that I am, I have gads of bootleg TOOL shows on DVD and CD, but I always love seeing one I haven't seen.

This one appears to be prior to the release of Aenima, as Maynard still has a mohawk, and Paul D'Amour is still playing bass. Fwiw, I think the band became much stronger when Justin Chancellor replaced Paul D'Amour.

I wish I could somehow post some of the stuff I have--it's great. Covers of Stranglehold, Dr. Love, The Passenger, Maynard with tits and a wig, a GIGANTIC version of Pushit from 1998 where the crowd seems to become absolutely unglued all at once at the end, great stuff.

But alas, I am too lazy and stupid to either figure out how to do it or really to be inclined.

Anyway, thanks for the gift.

zephed
08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is absolutely the definition of rock and roll.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the only correct answer to this is Chuck Berry.

Alobar
08-06-2005, 09:56 PM
we should swap bootlegs and vid clips sometime, as I have a ton as well. Tho I imagine weve got lots of the same [censored].

Rushmore
08-07-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little surprised at the fact that several of the otherwise erudite and undeniably bright posters here in OOT have decided to take exception with an obviously hyperbolic statement.

I should have made the phrase "definition of rock and roll TO ME," I guess.

And for the record, what I am sure you meant to say was "Chuck Berry's music was the original definition of a genre that has mutated and evolved into something totally different."

Otherwise, how could a skinny guy in star and moon pajamas play the guitar with a bow?

zephed
08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little surprised at the fact that several of the otherwise erudite and undeniably bright posters here in OOT have decided to take exception with an obviously hyperbolic statement.

I should have made the phrase "definition of rock and roll TO ME," I guess.

And for the record, what I am sure you meant to say was "Chuck Berry's music was the original definition of a genre that has mutated and evolved into something totally different."

<font color="green">Otherwise, how could a skinny guy in star and moon pajamas play the guitar with a bow?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="green">That was funny.</font>

I'm not that bright by the way. Tool rocks though.

Al P
08-07-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
09-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Thank you Rushmore.

Daliman
09-12-2005, 11:41 PM
How can you even listen to rock withthat heavy obscure rap listening itinerary you have?

But yes, welcome to the fold.

dibbs
09-12-2005, 11:43 PM
I just never got this one. Interesting as many, many people I know who share similar musical taste to mine (for the most part) love Tool but whenever I tried to listen to it I thought it was a joke or something, I didn't get it. Then again Ive only really listened to aenima or whatever its called. Perhaps I should try again.

7ontheline
09-12-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All Tool's CD's are incredible. Make sure to get Undertow and Opiate too.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
09-12-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you even listen to rock withthat heavy obscure rap listening itinerary you have?

But yes, welcome to the fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman, my progression as far as rock/rap is as follows
90-93 rap
92-98 rock
97-2003ish rap
2003ish to now rock and rap.

I clearly missed Tool during their prime, but I have always liked rock. As for my obscure rap following, I do like a wide range of rap, and not neccesarily the backpacker fair.

Seadood228
09-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Aenima is soooo underrated IMO.. You never see it amongst the great albums of the 90s.

Drew16
09-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Aenima is tits.

MrX
09-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Tool + Jimmy Hendrix = Happy X

vulturesrow
09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bryan Adams'Take Me Back

[/ QUOTE ]

Never post again.

vulturesrow
09-13-2005, 01:03 AM
RUshmore,

Awesome thread man. My roomate in college turned me on to these guys. It was a big step for a rube from the sticks like myself, but Ive never looked back. I totally agree with your hyperbole.

09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
prog rocks

smokingrobot
09-13-2005, 01:55 AM
damn yo, you are diggin way back there for posts in the OOT.

ThaSaltCracka
09-13-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I keep it real, and I am not a n00b.

Daliman
09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I keep it real, and I am not a n00b.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHEN KEEPING IT REAL GOES WRONG:

Cracka was a white boy who liked rap, and one day, he ventured into the random comment section of a gambling nerd website. He delved deep into the archives to check out a thread regarding a band someone had recommended so he could respond affirmatively about it, even though the thread WAS OVER ONE MONTH OLD! When called out by a colleague about this breach of ettiquette, Cracka merely could have let it go and said, "oops, sorry about that", but no, Cracka keeps it real.

This being a nerd website, and Cracka being a nerd, he hacked into the website's IP registry to find out the IP address of his colleague who dissed him, and then sent a worm into his computer that put naked pictures of a bunch of 5 year-olds beating up a Dead guy who had a banana stuck up his pooper on the colleagues desktop, who just happened to be an IRS agent. The IRS agent recieved an unfavorable review from his supervisor for this, so now he decided he would go after Cracka's file to look for illicit income. Being that this was a gambling nerd site, the chances were high there was undeclared income, so IRS guy was eager to put the screws to his new ememy.

Irs agent searched high and low in every form possible to find unclaimed $$$, but lo and behold, actually found out that even though Cracka had spent over 1300 hours in the past year posting and reading this website, he had not won a single nickel playing poker, the ONLY player on the whole website not to do so. Crushed, IRS guy decided to post his findings on the nerd gambling website, and Cracka was summarily ostracized from the only contact he had with the outside world, and wiled away his days having sex with the full-sized Alizee cardboard cutout he purchased online with $$$ he DIDN'T make playing poker.

RunDownHouse
09-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Lame.

pokerdirty
09-13-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

and to think, it was his 4400th post

Daliman
09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bah.

I had 6 minutes to do this. I tried and failed.

WHO AMONG YOU HAS NOT TRIED AND FAILED!

ThaSaltCracka
09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bah.

I had 6 minutes to do this. I tried and failed.

WHO AMONG YOU HAS NOT TRIED AND FAILED!

[/ QUOTE ]Well it had potential, I will give you that.