PDA

View Full Version : Final 6 - 50 man tourny

kurto
08-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I feel like an idiot.... is this as bad as I think it is?

Its the end of a 50 person live tournament in a private club. Final 6. I have the second most in chips. (let's just say $40K)

I believe the blinds are $2K-4K with $300 blinds.

I'm on the button with 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif I have recently knocked out 2 people showing good hands. I raise to $8K.

The large stack at the table takes a while to think (which he's almost moved quickly with good hands before) and calls. The BB folds.

FLOP A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I lead out for $8K. (I think this was my mistake because I think if I had a high ace, all-in would have been more convincing)

The Large stack thinks (I sensed real indecision on his part)... then goes all in. He has me covered.

I figured that he had a pair but wasn't completely comfortable with it. (could have been a weak ace or worse)

I figured my 9 heart outs are good, 3 kings for the straight and possibly Q or 10 outs.

In a cash game, I call this any day of the week. But I'm not so sure this is smart in a tourny where it'll put me from 2nd place to losing the game.

I called.

Terrible?

betgo
08-06-2005, 12:09 PM
You have to call. You have 2nd nut flush draw, a gutshot, and you are pot committed. You are close to even if villain has top pair.

I would just open push preflop, but the smaller raise is OK too.

TxSteve
08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
with 6 players left; you have the 2nd most in chips with 10 big bets?

what was the payout structure like?

kurto
08-06-2005, 05:45 PM
The Tourny payed 1-8 very heavily weighted at the top.

I know first was $1500, 2nd $750... then I'm not sure... except I know 6th was $180 (that's where I went out)

Regarding stack sizes, I have to say I'm making the roughest guesses as to what we actually had because the action was moving quite quickly towards the end. The chip leader (my opponent) had just knocked out two opponents and went from a mediocre stack to chip leader. I had also grown my stack considerably with the huge blinds by knocking out 2 players relatively quickly.

So, the only think I'm certain of is that the other guy had me covered. And that I had every at the table except him covered.

Where I feel dumb, and this may be thinking about it wrong, is had I folded on the flop, I still likely would have been in second.

I'm just not certain if at that stage in the tourny, I should have been playing a little tigher since none of the other stacks were that big a threat.