PDA

View Full Version : Hold Em...Flop exposed one card at a time...

RIDGE45
08-06-2005, 04:13 AM
So here is the hypothetical scenario...

NL or Limit hold em, same rules, same betting structure, etc. The only difference is that instead of the flop being 3 cards, one card is flopped then a betting round, another card, etc, until their are 5 community cards just like regular hold em?

So now there are 6 betting rounds instead of 4.

How does the game change?

How do the odds change?

Do u play the game more like 5 card stud?

Just trying to get an interesting discussion going...

SNOWBALL138
08-06-2005, 05:32 AM
suited connectors would become complete trash. AK type hands would go down A LOT in value. So basically, it would be pocket pair poker. This would be bad for the game though. I think it would kill the action. Bad players would lose money way too quickly.

08-06-2005, 11:41 AM
In normal holdem, flop play is so important because it is on the flop that you know most of your hand. In your game, it would be much easier for a made hand to protect against drawing, and making it much more expensive to draw at particular hands.

Triumph36
08-06-2005, 12:21 PM
This game could be interesting heads up or short handed no-limit, but this game is unplayable full-ring. Maybe pot-limit, but even then it appears difficult.

It's impossible to draw at straights or flushes. It becomes a pair/two pair/three of a kind/full house game. It's also a lot better play to slowplay a pocket pair until third or fourth street, it seems.

It seems possible to play this at limit. The six betting rounds could possibly tie a pocket pair to the hand, giving hands like AK and AQ serious implied odds at limit. But with six betting rounds, bluffing appears stupid or impossible. So, it doesn't seem like a very interesting game.

UATrewqaz
08-08-2005, 05:39 PM
*grunching*

This would seriously damage "drawing" hands. Low pairs and suited connectors, as they would be forced to pay many bets to see many cards. THe ability to flop a made hand is what attracts fish to hold em also. YOu get to see 3 for the price of one.

CobraGoat
08-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Dont mean to steal the thread but what about hold'em where the flop is two cards, turn is two cards, river is one or some variation? or what about additional cards? or what about.....

RIDGE45
08-09-2005, 04:00 AM
That does sound interesting...

Basically everyone is mirroring what I originally thought and that is that pocket pairs go way up in value and drawing becomes almost impossible...

I like the two cards at a time...

How bout 2 streets, two cards a piece, with a river facedown to each person? Hold em meets seven card stud kind of....

stripsqueez
08-09-2005, 06:53 AM
i play lots of manilla - thats similar to holdem (7's up, you have to use both of your cards) and you get 1 community card when your hand is dealt and then 1 at a time till there are 5

i dont think having 1 community card before the first round of betting would kill off the drawing hands - 4h2h might be playable on the Ah as the first community card

stripsqueez - chickenhawk