PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bluff or a value bet?

ZManODS
03-16-2003, 09:47 PM
$1/$2 online im in MP and get dealt AKo. Ive been raising with AK a lot and its been a pretty tight game so i decided to just limp. Player behind me raises and everyone folds back to me so i re-raise.

Flop (board: 4c 6h Js):
I check, he checks.

Turn (board: 4c 6h Js 8d):
I check, he checks.

River (board: 4c 6h Js 8d 3c):
Bet here?

Well i did and he decided to call. He shows ATo and i take it down. Did i just get lucky or was this a smart move?

JTG51
03-16-2003, 10:04 PM
I don't like your play on any street.

Preflop: It sounds like you are afraid you'll only win the blinds if you raise. It's not like you have AA here, I don't think no pair is really a slowplaying hand. The game being very tight preflop should be reason to raise more, not less.

Flop/Turn: I don't understand why you checked here. You don't have any reason to think you are behind, you shouldn't be giving free cards. Your preflop play represents a big hand, keep betting it until he tells you he can beat A high.

River: If you know the opponent well enough to think he'll often call with A high, then go ahead and bet. Against an unknown opponent, I think you have a better chance of making a bet by checking and hoping he bulffs.

Bob T.
03-17-2003, 02:52 AM
I agree with JTG51 On every point.

I'll add this. With big offsuit cards, you are playing to win with top pair, best kicker. A one pair hand is going to stand up better if a few players are involved in the hand instead of a lot of players. I would raise with AK off every time, if it is headsup, my hand might even win unimproved.

Ed Miller
03-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Your play on this hand is all sorts of confused. First of all, I think limping with AKo is basically never correct. AA maybe... AKs maybe... AKo no. I like your 3-bet preflop, but you need to be doing so with the intention of representing AA after the flop even if you miss. If you are just going to play like a wet noodle after the flop, then don't bother 3-betting preflop. One of the main goals of the preflop power play is to scoop the pot if your opponent also has AK and you both miss.