PDA

View Full Version : Lay down KK preflop?

08-06-2005, 02:43 AM
I was playing in a game tonight, NL, $20 buy in 8 people. With rebuys, the total pot came out to around $300. An hour into play I was up to $45. The player on my left is decent, I've played with him before. At the time he had around $20. He comes out ahead more often than not, but sometimes plays questionably. For example, tonight there was a $5 raise and reraise preflop (.10/.20 blinds) and he cold called with JTo. My read on the kid was basically that he had pretty good knowledge of the game, but was capable of making risky/stupid moves at times.

In this hand I'm SB, and he is BB.

UTG raises $1. At this point I haven't looked at my cards. The guy to my right says to someone across the table "are you ready to go all in with me now?" and smiles after looking at his cards. Normally I wouldn't buy this completely, but I got a vibe that he had a premium hand.

I look down and find KK. I reraise $5. He instantly pushes all in. UTG folds. I think about it for a second, double check my cards, have him count it down, and call. I was 95% sure he had aces, but I just couldn't lay the kings down.

Of course he turns over aces. I didn't get any help, and lost the hand. I wasn't pissed at first because I figured that I was destined to lose my money on that hand, and that it was impossible for me to lay down KK. But now that a few hours have passed and I've thought about it more, I think I might have made a mistake calling when I was so certain he had aces. What do you guys think?

nietzreznor
08-06-2005, 03:01 AM
You were the one at the table, so i guess only you have good enough read to know if this guy will pull this move with anything else. If not, then I guess you should fold.

Barring some fantastic read, though, I would probably call.

jtr
08-06-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was 95% sure he had aces, but I just couldn't lay the kings down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really mean the first part of this sentence, then obviously it's a fold. But I think you called, and reasonably so, because in truth you were nowhere near 95% sure that he had aces. A guy who cold calls big raises with JTo might well push with TT, for instance.

Also, he's on your left throughout right? At one point you mention him being on your right which doesn't seem to make sense.

djoyce003
08-06-2005, 10:12 AM
this has been debated ad nauseum on here....you can't fold KK eight handed here....you are giving up long term value because he only has the aces a very few number of times. this is AQ, AK, QQ, JJ, 10 10 a significant number of times.